Bar build - Thanks All

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And a couple more.

image-1485086769.jpg

Attachments

• image-2600209245.jpg
    image-2600209245.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,874
Got most of the decorating done. Still needs epoxy and a couple more punch list items done.

image-3065292813.jpg

Attachments

• image-1258922714.jpg
    image-1258922714.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,770
  • image-2427482374.jpg
    image-2427482374.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,801
  • image-3047639919.jpg
    image-3047639919.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,767
The best part about it is sharing it with friends and neighbors. On Friday, the bus stop ladies invaded it after the bus dropped off the kids, which led to husbands appearing as the night went on. We all had a great time. Saturday we had a birthday party for two of my daughters and when it was over the bar was open for business. It turned into a block party, with a firepit being set up in our side yard. Festivities ceased at 4:30AM. It was a great time

Awesome job man looks like one hell of a place to hang out enjoy the hell out of it

Thanks guys. We had a slight setback this week. My subcontractor lost his employees. So no work this week unless my General Contractor can get a new Sub in. Either way, it is too late in the week to do the epoxy as it takes 72 hours to cure and I have plans for the bar this weekend.

Yet more issues. :(

My contractors guys outdone the epoxy but it is cloudy. I am at a loss. They swear they followed all of the directions. Has anyone had an issue like this?

It was from Color Copper. I called them today and they had the owner call me back, after he had already left for the day. He explained that it was because the epoxy was not mixed, and poured, in a room that was at least 75F. He was extremely helpful and when he heard how much copper I was having coated, offered me a very significant discount on replacing my entire order. Of course the contractor will be paying him, not me, but it was a very nice gesture either way. It is either replace everything or take all the time and labor to sand it almost all the way down to the copper and repour the epoxy. It will probably be cheaper to replace it all.

wow... sorry to hear!
so apparently they didn't follow the instructions?
How did you apply the copper? is there anyway to rip it up and flip it upside down and use the bottom side of the copper?

Rivenin said:
wow... sorry to hear!
so apparently they didn't follow the instructions?
How did you apply the copper? is there anyway to rip it up and flip it upside down and use the bottom side of the copper?

Yeah, they missed step 1 in the instructions. The copper is a 36 gauge sheet and you glue it onto the wood. The mottled color is only on one side. It is either rip it out, or just put the new copper on top of the bad epoxy, after planing it down nice and level.

MD- Dave,

I was so proud of my build until I saw yours!!! Mine is really nice, but yours is just amazing... I do have a few questions for you.

First of all do you live in Gainsville, va? Is so I live about 20 minutes from you, if that. Can you tell me where you got the glass? I would like to put a glass mirror behind my bar as well, but don't know where to look. Also, want to make a liquor rail like you did. How did they install the lights under the liquor? You can see my bar link below your name.

Thanks!

Trimmer said:
MD- Dave,

I was so proud of my build until I saw yours!!! Mine is really nice, but yours is just amazing... I do have a few questions for you.

First of all do you live in Gainsville, va? Is so I live about 20 minutes from you, if that. Can you tell me where you got the glass? I would like to put a glass mirror behind my bar as well, but don't know where to look. Also, want to make a liquor rail like you did. How did they install the lights under the liquor? You can see my bar link below your name.

Thanks!

Hey, I am in Gainesville, VA. You are welcome to come look at anything you want, to help figure stuff out.
I used Manassas Glass for the mirror and then a decal company online to do the graphics. The mirror was about $300. The decal was $176 vs. $2,000 to etch it. Sorry, not made of money, the choice was easy. ;)
For the lighting, I went with LEDs under the glass. I had them offset two pieces of trim when they put them in to hold the glass. I put the LEDs on the lower piece of trim. There is a standard power outlet in the stand that I plugged them into.
Just PM me if you ever want to swing by.

Yeah I would love to come by at some point and check out the bar. I'd like to take a closer look at the lights and the etched glass. Things are a little crazy here with my flooded basement coupled with a three day old child. Maybe in couple weeks. I'll send you a message. I'm interested to know what material it is that makes it looked liked etched glass. What website did you use? They did a great job.

So, a little update. The epoxy that my contractor put down has pretty much ruined my bar. Not only is it cloudy, rippled and generally poorly done, but it has dripped all over the place. It got on my ice maker cover and they thought using Goo Gone would take it off. No luck, but it did take most of the color off the plastic. That along with many other issues, like covering the beer tower with blue tape before epoxying the counter, that is now embedded into the epoxy, and an unwillingness to correct it all has lead me to firing my contractor. I am now in the process of having another company come in and rebuild most of the bar. I will post pictures of the build, take two, as it progresses.

FYI, the epoxy was needed to protect the copper bar top as well as the copper on the counters

BadNewsBrewery said:
This is soul-crushing news. Were they bonded and insured? Tell me you're pursuing legal action!
I have to admit that I am pretty crushed. I had a huge housewarming/grand opening last weekend and although it went well, it was a very embarrassing day for me. On the bright side, I didn't care if any damage was done to the bar or carpets. None was though. :)
They were insured and we are pursuing that angle, but the smartest thing I did was pay by CC. At least now I can let someone else fight that battle. Unfortunately the cost to rebuild it, and repair damage to the carpet, plumbing and electrical will be more than I paid in the first place. Hopefully the insurance will cover the difference. Lesson learned though. Check more than one reference. Apparently they are going out of business now due to the number of other issues they had, most of them during the same time they were doing mine.

New drawings.

image-100665535.jpg

Attachments

• image-2263917872.jpg
    image-2263917872.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,227
  • image-102451607.jpg
    image-102451607.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,214
  • image-665194215.jpg
    image-665194215.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,218
Dave I know how you feel. When the first coat of epoxy was placed on my bar it has pockets, uneven surfaces, etc. At first I was told it "added character". He was a really really nice man but I insisted it was too much character for me. I didn't have high hopes but luckily for me a second coat fixed almost everything. You'll definatly want to install the beer tower after the epoxy. that stuff is thick.

I used envriotex-lite for mine. here's their tips & troubleshooting which I found helpful. It mentions the temp problem you unfortunately ran into

http://eti-usa.com/envirotex-lite/professional-tips/

You're having the entire bar re-done? It looks like from the new mock-up pictures that you're losing your liquor shelves. They looked awesome.

I'm also VERY jealous of your home theater. Good luck with your rebuild :)

naga77777 said:
You're having the entire bar re-done? It looks like from the new mock-up pictures that you're losing your liquor shelves. They looked awesome.

I'm also VERY jealous of your home theater. Good luck with your rebuild :)

Don't worry, the liquor shelf stays! They will reuse the existing boxes and frame but reskin the whole thing. The drawings were the first pass. We are making some changes to it before I sign anything. Hopefully I will end up with something that I will love, and will last, many years to come.

Thanks rvklein! This new company has a $4,000 spray gun for epoxy. Another nice thing is that they do it in a spray booth in their shop. So, no dust!

Sounds you have the right people for the job then. My guy had a bucket, a drill mixer and his son :tank: and still ended up with great results. You're golden.

Sorry to hear about the problems... it looked fantastic. I am sure the new build will be every bit as nice, and then some.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Just got word that the new bar will be installed starting on August 20th. They build it in their shop and then install it onsite. They could not believe that my contractor tried to do all of it in my basement. It will take them several days to install it, which is much nicer than losing my basement for 8 weeks!

I hope the second bar goes well! I'd like to stop by sometime next week and check it out. I'll sent you a private message.

This is the kind of craftsmanship I was expecting. Not the same design, but you can tell the overall quality, and attention to detail, is far better. This is one my new contractor is doing.

image-2102836630.jpg

I'm thinking of going the rout you are with hiring some one for my basement down the road what's the ballpark figure the new contractor is running?

Back