Need Help ASAP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastsecondapex

Reaction score
Okay, I won't get into my reasoning at the time, but I had a brain lapse and a buddy bet me I wouldn't consume a teaspoon of hop extract (we are brewing a Heady Topper-esque clone)... I did it, but didn't consider it being 61.1% alpha acid. Can anyone do a quick calculation to determine the ph level of a teaspoon of 61.1% alpha acid with the 64oz of water I just drank??? I can't find a ph level for hop extract anywhere and don't have a test kit. Am I safe to continue on, or do I need to get to the hospital??? Just calling a doctor and saying 'I ate some hop extract' isn't going to get me anywhere.

Please don't ridicule me... I know. :(

What dose it say on the package? Call poison control. If your body's ph is off more than it can compensate for, you can get sick or die.

I made a tray of hard candy with 5ml of extract in it. The smallest piece was so bitter I could hardly get it down. Batch 2 I used 1ml. This time it was palatable, but not what I considered pleasant.

Well, after vomiting, my mouth and lips were on fire for about an hour and I had a wicked stomach ache. Other than that, completely fine!:mug:

Needless to say, I did not taste my IPA wort after that.

Glad to see you're still alive. I might have gone with milk instead of water.

lastsecondapex said:
Well, after vomiting, my mouth and lips were on fire for about an hour and I had a wicked stomach ache. Other than that, completely fine!:mug:

Needless to say, I did not taste my IPA wort after that.

Did you force yourself to puke or did it happen... naturally?

I won $22 (the cost of the entire can of extract) and the vomiting was induced. I have an iron stomach as far as strange foods go, so it would take a lot for my gag reflex to cause me to vomit.

Back