Problems with mildew in fermentation chamber.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacchusmj

Reaction score
I'm having a lot of problems with mildew in my fermentation chamber. So far no infections in any beers but I'm getting really nervous with mildew growing all over the outsides of my fermenters.

Anyone else have thus problem? Any suggestions on how to stop the mildew? I was thinking about putting some charcoal in a bowl to absorb the moisture.moisture.

I don't think charcoal will absorb the moisture. You'll need something like Damp rite or whatever it's called. You cannot protect against mildew really but regular cleaning with bleach solution should keep it at bay. Controlling your moisture afterwards will also greatly help.

Line the bottom with chamis (sp?) that leather type material they use on cars to absorb water
I would swap them every couple weeks.
Never had mold growth but this is what i do for my converted mini fridge, the freezer section condensates and drips to the towels/chamis

EDIT: If its THAT much moisture where its growing on your carboys then you might need "damp-rid" or a mini de-humidifier even???

I'm also thinking that every time I open it to transfer or bottle a beer I will just clean it out with bleach water.

It really became a major problem when I did a couple lagers that were in there for a month. Then I raised the temp 35 degrees to ferment an ipa and apa. I guess the condensate pooled up.

Like one of the previous posters, I put some DampRid in my fermentation chiller.

It works like a charm for me. I've only had chiller for about 4 weeks or so, but have never had any condensation or mildew.

I've also read about some people using kitty litter as an alternative to DampRid.

Cheers!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000H0XFD2
I use this or things in its family to dehumidify my keezer as my house gets really humid in the summer. Just plug it in overnight every now and again to start over.

Awesome post - thanks for the question (yes, I just started to notice this problem - mold on the top of my primary fermenter in the chamber) and the answer!

---
Drinking: Bastard Caribou, Brown Ale
Secondary: Black Nellie, A Black IPA
Primary: White House Honey Wheat Ale
On-Deck for this weekend: Dead Ringer, my 4th extract brew

Back