Barley Wine Extract/Specialty Clones???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m3n00b

Reaction score
Looking for any of these:

Lost Abbey The Angels Share (Bourbon Barrel)
AleSmith Barrel Aged Old Numbskull
Victory Old Horizontal
Three Floyds Bourbon Behemoth
Avery Hog Heaven

Anyone have a recipe? I'm going to pitch on my Newcastle clone's WLP002 yeast cake in 2 weeks. I would prefer it to be 10-12%. I will age it for a year.

Edit: I found a ton of Barleywines in my CloneBrews book. None of these though. I'll probably add some oak to Rogue's Crustacean.

Be careful with extract and high gravity beers. You are going to have a hard time getting the attenuation you are looking for to avoid a high finishing gravity and a cloying beer. That and extract gets damn expensive at those gravities.

Be careful with extract and high gravity beers. You are going to have a hard time getting the attenuation you are looking for to avoid a high finishing gravity and a cloying beer. That and extract gets damn expensive at those gravities.

Thanks. I've gotten one up to 9.5% but that was using 2.5lb of honey.

The recipe in clone brews has about 8lb of dme and 8lb lme. Maybe I'll use some candi to help.

Also, I would not steep ANY crystal malt. DME and LME already have some percentage (varies between manufacturers and colors) of crystal malt in them, and adding more is redundant. It also would hinder attenuation.

Also, I would not steep ANY crystal malt. DME and LME already have some percentage (varies between manufacturers and colors) of crystal malt in them, and adding more is redundant. It also would hinder attenuation.

Thanks. It calls for 1# crystal 120 and 10oz dark Munich. What would you recommend instead of Crystal?

I'll be using 18# pale lme

Well...I went and bought my recipe.

I have 2.5 oz of enocube red finishing oak cubes. How much should I use and how long? I want a moderate oak flavor.

Back