Back from the dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chillHayze

Reaction score
Hi HBT - I've been away about a...er...decade... Good to see you're still here! So I brewed for about 5 years then life happened and I had a hiatus. Now the kid is a decent age and I'm thinking of rocking a few batches. I used to use a cooler for MLT, then 10G full boil on a gas burner, immersion chill. Seems rudely archaic in 2021. I'm looking at LWD electric (have 240V 30A at the brewery room) and a BIAB. Appreciate any advice on these newfangled methods as I start my DIY list.

LOL i think you have the oldest join date i've seen yet! :mug:

i can't help with new fangled stuff...i still brew just pouring water into a colander, and boil on my kitchen stove. All the cool kids have recirculating pumps, 3V Electric systems, BIAB...whatever. But just like the old WW2 vets that got me into computers at the C64 club. They're all older then me and like classical music! ;)

Welcome! and who knows maybe i'll grow up some day! (either that or i'll still be listening to The crystal Method when the kids are using Quantum computers to groove!)

Welcome back! Going electric is definitely the way to go! I spent 7 years cooler mash tun/BK on kitchen stove...and got my self an all in one electric system...makes brew day so much easier!

Glad to “see” you again! Welcome back to the obsession.
I’m still brewing on my ‘archaic’ system, which I thought was pretty high class for a ghetto build in 2007. Old dogs and all that, I guess. :)

It’s been a long time- now get brewing!

An electric brewery is intriguing for sure. And if you need to setup again, why not! My cooler MLT's, kettles, Blichmann burners and chugger pump were paid for a good while back so I'm unlikely to go that route anytime soon.

However, if I were looking for electric with a BIAB spin, I think I'd be looking at the Spike Solo pretty seriously. There's a few others out there too but I really like Spike Brewing as a company. Both my 20G and 30G kettles are from them. It's said to "buy once, cry once" and the Solo seems to align with that. But in general I find them to provide quality equipment at a competitive price point. And their Customer Service is known to be top notch too.

Of course if you are set to DIY then that's another story and have fun! There's plenty of info in here to work with for sure.

Welcome back...

Thanks for the welcomes back! @Yooper , glad to see you're still around! I'm going to get an electric rig going before brewing again. I've moved houses with this 20G MLT 3 times since I was last on here. It will be hard to say goodbye.

@Nagorg Those Spike systems look nice and I have the money now but I'm perpetually cheap and could likely not sleep at night knowing I had a $2000 pot in my basement not being used.

Prost!

Thanks for the welcomes back! @Yooper , glad to see you're still around! I'm going to get an electric rig going before brewing again. I've moved houses with this 20G MLT 3 times since I was last on here. It will be hard to say goodbye.

@Nagorg Those Spike systems look nice and I have the money now but I'm perpetually cheap and could likely not sleep at night knowing I had a $2000 pot in my basement not being used.

Prost!
Then make sure you use it a lot! The solo looks great and I'm gonna buy one soon.

Back