Woops. Too much priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremydgreat

Reaction score
Oh man. I just messed up. I was bottling a few bottles for a competition and added too much priming sugar.

I did a few bottles with 1 tsp and a few with 1.5 tsp of corn sugar. Yes, I added the sugar directly to the bottles because I was kegging the rest (with no priming sugar).

So, how big a deal is this? I just read that half to 1/4 tsp is about right for a 12 oz bottle. Am I going to have bottle bombs or should I wait this out? Should I submit the 1 tsp ones to the competition anyway?

Honestly you should wait until they are carbonated before you submit anything. You don't want bottle bombs at a comp, nor do you want the bottles to foam all over the person getting set to judge your beer :D

Oh man. I just messed up. I was bottling a few bottles for a competition and added too much priming sugar.

I did a few bottles with 1 tsp and a few with 1.5 tsp of corn sugar. Yes, I added the sugar directly to the bottles because I was kegging the rest (with no priming sugar).

So, how big a deal is this? I just read that half to 1/4 tsp is about right for a 12 oz bottle. Am I going to have bottle bombs or should I wait this out? Should I submit the 1 tsp ones to the competition anyway?

Just doing some quick napkin math, even the 1 tsp per 12 oz bottles have the potential to carb to around 6-7 volumes, which is more than enough to shatter glass. I'd also recommend not submitting them, I'd uncap them.

Back