???s about making a Honey Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonos7

Reaction score
I'm making a honey ale and the directions call for adding the honey to the last 5min of the boil. I have been under the impression that you never want to boil the honey for the best flavor.

should I add it at the end of the boil or after I chill down to ferment temps?

Use honey malt to get honey flavor ....real honey will just boost your ABV regardless of when you add

+1 ^ Honey aromatics disappear fast in hot wort. It will up your ABV but do very little else. Unless you want to risk raw honey in your secondary (not impossible but still a minor infection risk) try honey malt for flavor.

I tried (as second brew) a honey cream ale and added raw honey with 10 min left in boil. After 1-week in primary and 2-weeks in secondary and 2-weeks bottling condition the honey was too much to my taste buds- I used 32 oz. However after many weeks the beer tasted delicious and I will brew again - 10 min left in boil!

Back