Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tj40

Reaction score
Hi I have a newkie brown extract brew its been In fermenter since December 2012 can I still put it in pressure barrel and carbonate it ? It tastes good

If it tastes good, then do it! It's about time to get it off the yeast cake for sure. Match for any cheesy or rubbery off flavors that might have come from autolysis of yeast.

Thanks never carbonated before can except for in bottles using priming sugar ,can you talk me through the steps after transferring to keg as I have just done

Once its in the keg, close the lid and seal with pressure (15-20 psi is good).

Use the pull ring to purge out any oxygen, 2-3 bursts is usually what i do after it's sealed.

Set the regulator down to about 10psi.

Store (connected to the gas) for about 2 weeks chilled in the fridge or kegerator.

Hook it up to your tap and enjoy!

I like to purge my keg with CO2 before I transfer, when you open the keg, you'll see the gaseous co2 floating in there. Run you siphon tube to the bottom and cover just enough of the top of the keg to let the tubing in to keep dust and particulate from falling into the keg.

Don't forget sanitize your siphon tubing and autosiphon/racking cane before transferring. Once all my beer is in the keg, I like to take a packet of knox unflavored gelatin dissolve it in a boiled half-cup of water. I pour the solution into my keg, seal it, and stick it in my refrigerator to cold-condition for a few weeks. The gelatin will drop any of the yeast remaining in suspension nicely. Discard your first two pints or so, and the beer will run clear in less than a week.

Guys, I think he's using a UK pressure barrel. It's different from a keg that we think of. He can't set a psi on a regulator or anything, like you're thinking of. His keg is NOTHING like ours

king_keg_bottom_tap_system_rev1.png

-63402206954350870.jpg

If that is the case, unfortunately this is an American forum, and pressure barrels are NOT that common to us. You may have better luck asking questions about working with them on either the English or Australian homebrewing forums. Very few if any of us even know what these things are. I know what they are because I've googled info when folks have come on here. But I have no answers to specific questions.

I don't want to chase you away , but I would post questions about pressure barrels on the Brewuk forums. We can help you with just about everything else about brewing. But specific pressure barrel info is pretty scarce on here.

However in terms of priming a pressure barrel, I would advise you to read this article, it's for priming uk pressure barrel fermenters.

Ok cheers guys you obviously do it differently over there but beer is beer right guys ,thanks for all your help chat again soon I will have to ask on the uk forums I thought this was international

Ok cheers guys you obviously do it differently over there but beer is beer right guys ,thanks for all your help chat again soon I will have to ask on the uk forums I thought this was international

It IS an international forum...99% of everything is the same EXCEPT that pressure barrels are rare here. They're really not sold in the states in most homebrew shop, they're just uncommon, and most folks here know little if anything SPECIFICALLY ABOUT THOSE THINGS, otherwise, you're right, beer IS beer.

Back