Trippel cross my fingers on vacation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdawson9

Reaction score
So I'm leaving the country for a week tomorrow morning. I have a trippel in the better bottle. It will be 9 days tomorrow. Almost zero airlock activity and SG is 1.020. What says everyone on leaving this in my rope bucket with some frozen water bottles for this week. Any chance I get off favors? I believe it's pretty much done fermenting but I don't want to screw this bus expensive beer. My only other option is to throw it in a keg and put in the kegerater. But that would be keeping it pretty cold. Plus I plan to bottle this batch. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Is it an extract or AG recipe? What was the grain bill/extract plus grain bill?

I'd want a triple to finish well below 1.020, and giving it more time and letting temps rise shouldn't hurt anything...if anything, it'll let the yeast drop the gravity a few more points.

Speaking of yeast, what yeast did you use? Did you make a starter, and if so, how big?

More info will only help us give you a better answer. :)

Personally, I'd be inclined to let it ride. How long will you be gone?

Sounds to me like its ok, most fermentation is over, and another week is not a big deal.

That's why I like this forum: "I'm leaving the country and I'm worried about my beer." -- :mug:

I'd raise the temp up. Tripels are typically fermented starting at about 64, raising up to over 70 degrees a few days into fermentation. I'd raise the temp on that sucker and let it sit until you get back, at least. I primaried mine for a month, with 4 months in secondary.

Thanks for replies. I'm back next thurs. OG was 1.078. Because of LHBS limitations, I used one smack pack of 1388 and one rehydrated dry pack of Safale T58. It was an extract brew.

So I'm leaving the country for a week tomorrow morning. I have a trippel in the better bottle. It will be 9 days tomorrow. Almost zero airlock activity and SG is 1.020. What says everyone on leaving this in my rope bucket with some frozen water bottles for this week. Any chance I get off favors? I believe it's pretty much done fermenting but I don't want to screw this bus expensive beer. My only other option is to throw it in a keg and put in the kegerater. But that would be keeping it pretty cold. Plus I plan to bottle this batch. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

I don't really think it is done fermenting yet. It's only starting into the 3rd phase and it needs the time. http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

Thanks for the good link. According to this it could definitely be done. But my question was more around would I be opening the beer up to off flavors if I have the temp go to 70 to 75 after 8-9 days of fermenting. My gut says its probably ok. Just wanted some 2nd opinions. At this point its water under bridge. I'm in a different city waiting on connecting flight. Fingers still crossed.

I'd let it ride. As stated, Belgians should be ramped up after the first few days. 1020 is too high for a tripel and by leaving it to warm, you'll hopefully get more out of it. Off flavors are usually developed during the first few days of fermentation. At this point, the risk is very low, and in my opinion, certainly worth the reward. Take your fermenter out of the water bath, remember your passport, have a great trip and forget about your beer. When you get back, hopefully you'll have a 1010 FG waiting for you ready to bottle!

Latest posts

Back