First bourbon ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satt8404

Reaction score
My dad mentioned to me that he likes bourbon ales and asked if I could brew a batch for him. I have been brewing for about 6 months now and still use ingredient kits from my local homebrew shop. My main question is what kind of ale kit should I use? I don't really like bourbon ale all that much so I have no idea what is commonly used. I'm planning on brewing the beer then adding oak chips soaked in bourbon to the secondary (I was thinking of soaking them for about a month). I haven't done any reading on this, but it seems like the best way to do it since I don't have any bourbon barrels laying around. Thanks for any suggestions.

yup. porter or stout for sure. I've done a few bourbon oak stouts myself and they always turn out great.
I usually put just enough bourbon on the chips to cover them then let them sit for anywhere from 2-7 days. Ive even done a few hours before and you could still taste it. Yum.

Is the good bourbon worth in when adding it to a porter? I just poured some Woodford Reserve over 1.5 oz of oak chips and almost cried. Much rather lose a couple of jiggers of Crow or Grandad.

To the OP, i think soaking a month on chips is uneeded. Most advice Ive seen is 1-2 weeks. Also, you dont want to leave the chips in the secondary to long or youe beer can taste like woodshop. Start checking for taste after around a week.

I've used makers mark to virgina gentleman and I've noticed a little difference. I've been going to the store and getting a couple mini bottles of something half decent but I don't waste my money or really good bourbon.

I've oaked toasted chips for anywhere from 2-7 days and I've oaked white oak spirals for 6 months. It really just depends on what you're going for. You can totally over oak if you leave them in for too long. I'd start by treating it like a dry hop- 5-7 days and see how it goes.

biohazard-brewing said:
Hey when you are adding the oak cubes/chips into the secondary...do you add the bourbon as well?

You can soak the cubes in the bourbon for about a month first or you can add the bourbon at bottling

Back