Help with dry hopping of orange zest...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 156820

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just finished brewing my second 2.5 gallon batch. It is a modified version of a Stone Pale Ale Clone recipe. Recipe as follows.

3.5lbs Golden Light LME
6oz Crystal 60
2oz Crystal 120
2oz lightly toasted rolled oats
.4oz Magnum (60min)
.4oz Ahtanum (15min)
White Labs WLP 002 English Ale Yeast
.7oz fresh orange peel zest (hint of grapefruit zest) at flameout and I let it steep for about 5-7 min

Its sitting in primary now and smells wonderful! Only I cant quite catch the orange and grapefruit zest aroma as much as right when i pulled out my muslin bag of zest... Do you think some aroma will carry through to the final product? What are opinions of dry hopping with some more zest after primary? ALSO, any recommendations on what kind of hops will likely pair well with my current bill for dry hopping? I really want there to be an OBVIOUS but not overwhelming citrus smell/aroma/whiff when you put this beer to your nose.
Thoughts and opinions?

Thanks in advance!

:mug: :mug: :mug: :mug: :mug: :mug: :mug: :mug: :mug: :mug: :mug:

I used both in the boil of my first Orange Centennial Blonde Ale that I made on Easter.
I am bottling tomorrow night and I will tell you in another couple weeks.

They both have citrusy notes but wiser minds will have to weigh in on this one.

gordiusz said:
What about the dry hopping with fresh orange zest?

I researched this topic recently and came to the conclusion that an "obvious" orange taste is hard to get into a beer.
My plan is to put a slice of orange into my glass.
I say this only because I drank my FG sample and it tasted ok and had a slight taste of orange and even slighter aroma of orange

1 oz cascade, 1/2 oz amarillo, and 1/2 oz simcoe makes for a nice dry hop addition if you're wanting orange

Back