Using cherry wood smoked malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New_Climber

Reaction score
My local brew supply has cherry wood smoked malt of which I really want to try...below is a base recipe that I used to make a coffee stout. I have made some changes...adding oats and removing the coffee which turned out really good. I wanted to add some of this cherry wood smoked malt...

My question is...how much is enough? I don't want to overwhelm the beer with smoky flavor....I was thinking maybe a 0.5lb.??

Any opinions....

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 72.00 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 8.00 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.00 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (450.0 SRM) Grain 2.00 %
1.00 oz Tettnanger [4.70 %] (45 min) Hops 16.5 IBU
1.00 oz Sterling [7.50 %] (15 min) Hops 14.3 IBU

1.00 items Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-)

I think you are missing a digit in the amount you suggested. Anyway, I would not use less than 10% if you want to taste it at all, especially with dark malts in there. If I were making your beer, I'd put 2 pounds in there. Many people don't like the smoke at all, so if that is the case for you, maybe just use 1 pound.

The smoke will recede pretty quickly after you make it, so if it seems too smokey at first, wait a week.

My local brew supply has cherry wood smoked malt of which I really want to try...below is a base recipe that I used to make a coffee stout. I have made some changes...adding oats and removing the coffee which turned out really good. I wanted to add some of this cherry wood smoked malt...

My question is...how much is enough? I don't want to overwhelm the beer with smoky flavor....I was thinking maybe a 0.lb.??

Any opinions....

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 72.00 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 8.00 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.00 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (450.0 SRM) Grain 2.00 %
1.00 oz Tettnanger [4.70 %] (45 min) Hops 16.5 IBU
1.00 oz Sterling [7.50 %] (15 min) Hops 14.3 IBU

1.00 items Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-)

Opps...sorry. I wanted to say 0.5 lb... but you are saying I should up that very much...to 2lbs. I didn't think the smoke flavor would reduce over time?? Also maybe replace the honey or victory malt with the smoked malt??

Opps...sorry. I wanted to say 0.5 lb... but you are saying I should up that very much...to 2lbs. I didn't think the smoke flavor would reduce over time?? Also maybe replace the honey or victory malt with the smoked malt??

I'd remove the honey malt for sure. But it's your beer, make what you want. If you get nervous and reduce the smoked malt too much, you probably won't taste it at all.

I've used that cherry malt, it's great. For your beer, I'd probably go with the beechwood smoked malt from Weyermann.

This Briess smoked malt is mild, despite its strong smoke smell. I assure you that 20% in a Helles lager is barely noticeable. And it fades during aging. So in a coffee stout, you won't notice this smoked malt unless you're well north of 30%. And coffee stouts usually are aged a while, so the smoke will fade. Honestly, I'm not sure Briess is suited to a stout because you'll need to use so much, and I'm not sure how it'll hold up at that level. For certain, Weyermann is good up to 100%, so I'd be more inclined to just go Weyermann 50% of grist.

This Briess smoked malt is mild, despite its strong smoke smell. I assure you that 20% in a Helles lager is barely noticeable. And it fades during aging. So in a coffee stout, you won't notice this smoked malt unless you're well north of 30%. And coffee stouts usually are aged a while, so the smoke will fade. Honestly, I'm not sure Briess is suited to a stout because you'll need to use so much, and I'm not sure how it'll hold up at that level. For certain, Weyermann is good up to 100%, so I'd be more inclined to just go Weyermann 50% of grist.

I should have said that. My thoughts exactly.

Latest posts

Back