advertising gimmicks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellowirenut

Reaction score
We all have seen them. The cardboard cutout of the hottie at the bottle store.
Cooler and clothing give away. Anything to get you to buy the brand not necessarily the beer.

The new trend seems to center around the can its self. Wide mouth to chug easier, vents so it will not vapor lock your poor. Even printing on the can that changes color when its cold (too cold for me). Now Budweiser is releasing its new "bow-tie" can.

BUD+BOWTIE+CAN+AND+PACK+IIHIH.jpg

What other gimmicks have you seen? I understand they are fighting the competition for your $ but at what point do you roll your eyes?

Swirl top bottles, giving out samples at the liquor store, female models in tight dresses at sporting and other entertainment events. Then there are the special release batches with overly simplified labels that cost $10 per 12oz bottle, free t-shirt give-aways to promote the introduction of cans as an alternative to stubby bottles, and gimmicky art on the six pack carrier and the bottle labels. Just to name a few more.

I don't roll my eyes at any of it. The craft guys do it just as much as the big boys. I got a free Sierra Nevada t-shirt out of it and a collection of cool looking six pack cartons to haul around my homebrew. I'm still not paying $10 per 12oz bottle though. I politely say no thanks to the people giving out samples of beer I don't like and I ignore the models in tight dresses. I have drank from the swirl top bottle. I can't believe how smooth it pours out, it's just amazing!! ;)

Guiness "black lager"...selling it like they invented the friggin color.

>> female models in tight dresses at sporting and other entertainment events.

Works for me :)

>>I got a free Sierra Nevada t-shirt

I'd wear a Pabst Blue ribbon T-shirt if it was given to me. Free is ok.

>>I have drank from the swirl top bottle.

I think the beer tastes much better from a well designed beer glass, preferably a Tulip glass or a Sam Adams style glass - that traps the aromatics. Drinking from a can or bottle doesn't trap the aroma. I suggest you try a good beer in a glass vs. from a can/bottle and see the difference.

>>

>>I have drank from the swirl top bottle.

I think the beer tastes much better from a well designed beer glass, preferably a Tulip glass or a Sam Adams style glass - that traps the aromatics. Drinking from a can or bottle doesn't trap the aroma. I suggest you try a good beer in a glass vs. from a can/bottle and see the difference.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I completely agree. This is my regular drinking glass. However, if I'm drinking beer that comes in a "Vortex" bottle (Miller Lite), I'll just have it out of the bottle. No sense in getting a glass dirty.

DSC_6886sm.jpg

Speaking of Miller Lite... granted the two are very different styles of beer intended for two completely different consumers, but when it comes to marketing techniques, I see very little difference in Dogfish Head's "continuously hopped" for X amount of minutes and Miller's "triple hopped".

Speaking of Miller Lite... granted the two are very different styles of beer intended for two completely different consumers, but when it comes to marketing techniques, I see very little difference in Dogfish Head's "continuously hopped" for X amount of minutes and Miller's "triple hopped".

Well, the one difference is DFH is selling you a hoppy beer. Miller isn't, so building a marketing statagy around how many times they add hops, which you can't taste is worthy of being mocked.

I don't roll my eyes at the marketing; I shake my head at the people who fall for it.

Yes the marketing goes both directions if it did not Sierra Nevada, Anchor Brewing, Stone and all others would have never survived.

Does the Heineken bottle glow red when it is empty? :p

Well, the one difference is DFH is selling you a hoppy beer. Miller isn't, so building a marketing statagy around how many times they add hops, which you can't taste is worthy of being mocked.

No doubt it's worth being mocked, but in my opinion, both are equally gimmicky.

On the flip side though, I feel both make a good beer, for what they are. For a light American lager, I happen to like Miller. For IPA's I do like Dogfish head. Neither of these are my favorite, but I enjoy them just as much, depending on what I'm in the mood for.

Like someone else said. These companies need something catchy to draw attention to themselves. How else will they succeed as a brewery, especially with all the competition out there.

I think the Budweiser can looks kind of cool, although I haven't seen it in person. It mimicks their brand, so why not promote it. I guess what I don't get about the can, is that Miller has been promoting ways to ge the beer out of the can easier, this looks like those last few ounces may be a little harder to get out of the can, having to tip it a little more at the end to get that beer over the crease in the middle.

Speaking of the miller can though, with the new air hole top, what a pain in the ass. I was given a can last weekend from a neighber and while drinking it, I started messing around with the punch hole. It became an obsession and I ended up having to get a screwdriver to pop the thing. Again, dumb, you just made the beer harder to drink, not easier. Whatever happened to just being able to pop the top and drink a beer?

Latest posts

Back