Bitter beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddleguy

Reaction score
I am new to brewing and am on my 4th or 5th batch. I've got something going on with the beer about 2 weeks after bottling. The beer is turning really bitter. The freshly bottled beer tastes good after the carbonated but then overnight it seems that a real bitter aftertaste kikicks in

Has any one had this happen or have experience with their beer ? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Not knowing how long it fermented or the recipe it would be hard to say what is wrong if anything. It could be as simple as needing another week or three in the bottle

The current batch was a moose drool clone from northern brewers, Was in the primary for three weeks and in the secondary for 2 1/2 weeks. They have been I'm the bottles for three weeks now. This past weekend they became bitter. Seemingly overnight

Any thoughts on if it could be star san? I washed the bottles thoroughly and may not have rinsed them completely.

Any thoughts on if it could be star san? I washed the bottles thoroughly and may not have rinsed them completely.

No the starsan should not be rinsed. It is a wet contact sanitizer meaning once it is out of the bottles it is no longer effective.

I would wonder if you have issues with water or infections. Since I am lucky enough to have great water and have never had a infection though I would have to let someone else chime in

You say you washed well but may not have rinsed. You didn't wash anything with StarSan did you? StarSan is not a cleaner, it is a sanitizer. You need to clean with a cleaner (PBW or Oxyclean), rinsed and then sanitized with StarSan and then NOT RINSED! Once the StarSan dries you are now susceptible to an infection. That said, it's pretty unusual for a beer to go bitter overnight. It it more than one bottle that's affected? Is this a hop bitterness or something different?

First off, I think Moose Drool has a good amount of bitterness depending on how fresh it is. One reason I love this beer is it is good fresh or aged, but the flavor does change. So I think once it carbed and you refrigerated, all of the yeast and stuff that masks bitterness dropped out, it changed overnight into the beer it SHOULD be, just maybe not what you expected. If you let it sit in the bottle for a month, the flavors will probably mellow to your expectations.

Back