Differences in sarsaparilla root

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy8

Reaction score
So Im looking at getting my Sarsaparilla root from a different (cheaper) source than my usual. I noticed though that this new source carries. "Jamaican" Sarsaparilla root in addition to the usual "Indian" root. Now from my other supplier, I think its the Indian I was getting, but what will be the differences between these two? Does anyone know if one will taste better than the other? Is one going to be rastafarian :fro: and the other not? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Wow 88 views and nobody knows this huh? I kind of figured this would be a tough one to answer. I couldn't find anything using Google either. I thought Google knew everything. Well Im still open for suggestions or possible answers to this if anyone knows.

Sasparilla was traditionally made from sassafras roots harvested in the states I thought.

Well that seems like a logical conclusion I think. But then that still begs to question, why Mexican, why Indian, and why Jamaican? What are the differences in flavor, if any? I suppose as far as "state bound" sarsaparilla root it seems logical that it may not have been a native plant originally but that came from the stuff in Mexico? I dunno just guessing here.

Dig mine up all over my property here in Arkansas.
Wish I had that option. Maybe Ill buy from you...lol I was looking into trying to grow some but not sure if it will survive minnesota winters or if its something I can put in a large pot and bring into the house over winter. I tried finding pictures of this stuff but nothing that gives me any idea of the size.:(

Crazy8 said:
Wish I had that option. Maybe Ill buy from you...lol I was looking into trying to grow some but not sure if it will survive minnesota winters or if its something I can put in a large pot and bring into the house over winter. I tried finding pictures of this stuff but nothing that gives me any idea of the size.:(

Unfortunately sassafras doesn't really live that far north. Time to start looking around online for some roots.

I can try to mail ya a sapling if you wanna try to grow it but hat far north I wouldn't have high hopes unless you bought it in for winter. Round these parts it grows to a full sized tree, not something I'd suggest being a house plant.

Sarsaparilla root and sassafras root are different and the plants they come from are even more so. I'm not sure how this went from, "I've thought about growing sarsaparilla" to "I'll send you a sassafras sapling".

Sarsaparilla (Similax) is a vine whereas sassafras is a tree. Mexican and Jamaican Sarsaparilla are of the same genus, however Indian is not. It's more of a shrub. Flavors are similar and all can be used in place of one another, but there are subtle differences. I'm not sure which one I have on hand right now, but it has a bit of an aroma similar to vanilla with a bitter flavor similar to cinnamon without the heat. Varieties (again, not sure which ones) I've had in the past were not as strong on the vanilla aroma.

Sassafras is more of a slightly bitter and sweet flavor with an astringent/tingly/numbing mouthfeel like yarrow but less pronounced.

That doesn't answer your question at all, does it? Best advice is to get all of them and see which you like best if you're concerned about flavor. If all you worry about is price right now, just get the cheapest and if it ruins your beverage switch back to what you had.

Eh, I'm a forester, not some vine expert. I didn't know there was a sarsaparilla plant even. Oh well.

Wow this is all great information. MrFoodScientist that may not have answered my question, but that is all good information and I am glad you posted it. :) It does clear up some of the mater though.

Guess its a regional thing cause growing up we always used sassafras to make root beer an granny would make a spiced tea out of it. I always thought the home made was similar to store bought but better, just played it as being home made.

I did not write down the differences in the sarsaparilla BUT you are talking different cultivars. From what I recall researching this is what I gathered many months ago. Most root beer makers prefer Jamaican, aka smilacaceae liliaceae, aka smilax aristolochifolia(?sp) or sometimes noted as smilax medica. Second and third choices are Honduran and Mexican types. Last being smilax aspera L aka smilax ovalifolia Roxb, aka Indian.

So Im looking at getting my Sarsaparilla root from a different (cheaper) source than my usual. I noticed though that this new source carries. "Jamaican" Sarsaparilla root in addition to the usual "Indian" root. Now from my other supplier, I think its the Indian I was getting, but what will be the differences between these two? Does anyone know if one will taste better than the other? Is one going to be rastafarian :fro: and the other not? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

OK, so let me TRY to chime in.

As a few people have noted, The Jamaican (aka Honduran) Sarsaparilla is the plant Smilax regelii, also seen as Smilax ornata

The Mexican Sarsaparilla is Smilax aristolochiaefolia, a plant of the same genus and family as the Jamaican variety

Indian Sarsaparilla, however, is from an unrelated plant: Hemidesmus indicus, also known as False Sarsaparilla. However, it is often used as a (less expensive) substitute for the other varieties, as it is widespread in India, and cheap to produce.

Personally, I have only used the Indian variety (only one I can readily get my hands on) . . . so I can't talk about difference in flavors. But East Coast friends of mine tell me the flavors are incredibly similar across all 3 . . . at least when it comes to making root beers. They PREFER the Jamaican, as they say it isn't QUITE as earthy as the Indian . . . but that could be just them . . .

This is really great to hear. I never thought I would get this much info but it is all good stuff. Well I ended up getting the Indian and I know I have used Indian at least once because that's what I wrote on my ziplock bag I store it in. However, I have noticed it smells much different than what was in the bag. I guess we will see how it all comes out. Thank you all again for the detailed information on this.

How many cups of Sassafras and Sarsaparilla can you get out of the 16oz bags on Amazon or other places?

all the recipes seem to call for volume not weight.

Chris

I use about 3/8cp of each for one of my recipes. So its nice getting those big 16oz bags especially when there are times when you can't find those ingredients. So if you can stock up, I would.

Reviving an old thread...

Anyone willing to send a sapling of their local sarsaparilla to California? I'd like to see if I can grow it.

-KC

Back