What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got Organized. Built a new shelf to get brew stuff off the floor, moved new freezer that will soon become a 4-carbor Fermation chamber to "my" garage and bought the stuff to make said fermation chamber. ...just waiting on my 2 stage temp controller.

2013-04-03153221_zps25e7320d.jpg

Picked up a couple 750's of Prairie Funky Galaxy (one for me, and another for a fellow HBT'er) and a sixxer of Stevens Point IPA.

Canceled my order and got a refund for my grain mill. It has been on backorder, was supposed to get it three weeks ago! Quickly ordered another one and will hopefully be brewing agin next week.

image-1451949172.jpg

I gotta lot of milling to do!

Picked up Firestone Walker walker's reserve, wookie jack, and Lagunitas Hop Stoopid for a fellow HBT'er.

He don't mention the Hop Stoopid, but his profile states "recently found out I REALLY like hoppy beers" so why not?

jerryteague said:
Picked up a couple 750's of Prairie Funky Galaxy (one for me, and another for a fellow HBT'er) and a sixxer of Stevens Point IPA.

Woot! I love galaxy hops and can't wait to try that beer!

TNGabe said:
Woot! I love galaxy hops and can't wait to try that beer!

It's on deck now. I'll give a review when I crack it open. My local liquor store just got in 3 cases today and I had them hold 2 for me. I may call and have him hold 6 for me, if it's as good as Prairie Gold (they're ordering 2 or 3 cases of that one today, and I have 6 on hold when they get it).

jerryteague said:
It's on deck now. I'll give a review when I crack it open. My local liquor store just got in 3 cases today and I had them hold 2 for me. I may call and have him hold 6 for me, if it's as good as Prairie Gold (they're ordering 2 or 3 cases of that one today, and I have 6 on hold when they get it).

I'm glad I turned you on to them. When you said you weren't happy with the beer in Oklahoma, Prairie was the first brewery that came to mind.

TNGabe said:
I'm glad I turned you on to them. When you said you weren't happy with the beer in Oklahoma, Prairie was the first brewery that came to mind.

Yeah, I'm happy that you did too. The Biergarten tip has turned out to be a goldmine for craft beer. The owner, and several employees are also home brewers. Believe it or not, the liquor store in town actually started carrying Prairie because I asked them to. They can't keep it on their shelves...

Started getting information together for a monster order of grain and hops from farmhouse brewing getting enough for 6 batches!

Received my centennial rhizomes from northwesthops. They sent 6 even though the starter kit was only supposed to have five. They were all big, but one was a monster. I am very pleased. I planted them in a large planter and will transplant in a few weeks.

Brewed a session brown ale
Checked gravity on a porter
Meeting about current brew schedule and upcoming brews
Settled the plans for a brew event and finalized beers being taken
Mapped out new co2 distribution block to replace the old one

Took down last years hop lines and began replacing them with new ones; dry hopped another 5 gallons of my IPA, this one with Cascade and Centennial hops; de-labled and cleaned about 1 1/2 cases of bottles since all my kegs will be filled by this weekend; okay, all but one will be filled - just killed a keg of Common Room ESB.

Went back to the store and purchased the correct beer. I'm an idiot, Wooky Jack and Double Jack have the same damn label!

Checked my order for my grain mill, a pound of Cascade, and a sack of 2 row. The crusher is on its way, and the 2 row, and hops will be shipped tomorrow. Oh, I also inventoried my grains and hops for a Zombie Dust clone (I had just enough Citra to brew it) that I will be doing after I finish brewing 3 more batches. Also shopped around for some more pin lock kegs.

Read a couple more chapters of John Palmer's How to Brew and starred at my yeast starter for my second brew ever. It's a all grain oatmeal stout. And currently making my first reply on HBT. :) Hello everyone!

xtian116 said:
Canceled my order and got a refund for my grain mill. It has been on backorder, was supposed to get it three weeks ago! Quickly ordered another one and will hopefully be brewing agin next week.

I gotta lot of milling to do!

I gotta ask, what's with the doll in your photo, man? Creepy as heck!

mashthat91 said:
I gotta ask, what's with the doll in your photo, man? Creepy as heck!

That's my brew buddy! I found that thing when we were cleaning up the house to move in. It's the creepiest thing I've ever seen. I love creepy stuff, so I never had the heart to get rid of it. SWMBO said I had to keep it one of my areas so she doesn't have to see it.

Putting the finishing touches on my fermentation chamber with wifi communications via smartphone. Can remotely monitor temperature as well make adjustments.
Next will be the lagering chamber with same wifi capabilities.

mblanks2 said:
Putting the finishing touches on my fermentation chamber with wifi communications via smartphone. Can remotely monitor temperature as well make adjustments.
Next will be the lagering chamber with same wifi capabilities.

Sweet!

Picked up ingredients for my next two brews (barleywine and a session IPA). Since the whole homebrew section was 20% off, also stocked up on some some random supplies for future TBD brews, mostly hops:
Simcoe, Mosaic, Motueka, Nelson Sauvin, Sorachi Ace, Chinook, Centennial, Falconer's Flight

They were already out of Citra though :(

Had a random day off and the wife out of town so... Went to my LHBS and browsed. Got ingredients for an American ale. Drank a few. Brewed said ale, just got everything cleaned up. Now to bed.

Placed a early morning order for a bottle cap catcher and a drip tray to complete my Keezer which otherwise is done and operational. I also put together my recipe for a Pale ale that I'll be brewing tomorrow.

Made my yeast starter for my Honey-Basil Double Pale Ale...my first partial mash recipe. A little worried I'm gonna screw this up

Picked up an Irwin step drill bit to attempt to drill some holes for my somewhat newly acquired Keggle and another 15 gal SS pot I scored from work. Going to order some half inch weld less ball valves and two thermometers as well. Looking to attempt some ten gallon batches soon.

Pulled a gravity sample from my oatmeal stout, cleaned 2 cases of bombers, and 6-12oz bottles to bottle the stout. Also rinsed my mash tun and cleaned my BK for an El-Dorado IPA I'm brewing tonight, after I clean my fermenter. Also inventoried my brewing ingredients so I can get what I need to brew a Zombie Dust clone next week. Next up; order hops for the Heady Topper clone I'm doing next month.

Pulled a gravity sample from my oatmeal stout, cleaned 2 cases of bombers, and 6-12oz bottles to bottle the stout. Also rinsed my mash tun and cleaned my BK for an El-Dorado IPA I'm brewing tonight, after I clean my fermenter. Also inventoried my brewing ingredients so I can get what I need to brew a Zombie Dust clone next week. Next up; order hops for the Heady Topper clone I'm doing next month.

Do you have Conan yeast yet? If not, I should be able to throw a vial in when I send you beers.

TNGabe said:
Do you have Conan yeast yet? If not, I should be able to throw a vial in when I send you beers.

Unfortunately, I don't have any (didn't know if I could find any). A vial would be awesome! If I don't get any Conan, I'm planning on using Wyeast 1056, or Safale US-05. I'll send you a couple of bombers when it's done. I hope this one turns out, as I haven't tried the original.

What?! Where?

I'm in CA, Pomona. Vanguard closed, so I drive to riverside.

I bought vanguard! We are opening under SoCal Homebrew in the same location. Hopefully be open by next weekend... follow us on Facebook we will be posting updates as they come

kosmokramer said:
I bought vanguard! We are opening under SoCal Homebrew in the same location. Hopefully be open by next weekend... follow us on Facebook we will be posting updates as they come

Sweet! That's 5 minutes from my house! (With traffic)

Back