First time/year growing hops (pictures)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bisco_Ben

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I recently came across the opportunity to snag already growing hop plants from a farm out on the east end of Long Island. I have never done anything like this before but figured that it was just too good of an opportunity to pass up. I got 4 plants all together. Chinook, Cascade, Williamette and Tettnang. Let me know what you think of my setup and any help/suggestions would be very much appreciated! :mug:

setup.jpg

Each plant has about 10-15 feet of rope. Next year I will be getting a taller pole and longer lines. But for my first year I figured that this would get the job done.

Each plant has about 10-15 feet of rope. Next year I will be getting a taller pole and longer lines. But for my first year I figured that this would get the job done.

The problem is, several of those plants will reach the end of the rope by harvest time.

They will all inter mingle and wrap around eachother into a giant ball of cluster**** that you will have no way of remedying. The worst part will be that you have no idea what hop is what, you will just have a giant ball of hops.

As long as you dont mind not knowing what hops you have this year that setup should be fine, but i have a feeling you'd like to know which is which in which case you should figure out a way to keep the end points seperate by several feet. Honestly i would go get 3 more of those 4x4's and stick them down so you have one for each plant. Otherwise your in for a miserable harvest this year.

This is what the top of your pole could look like.
hops2.jpg

Its not a bad setup if you had all the same hop type, because who cares if they wrap up on each other. But 4 separate types and your SOL in determining what is what.
Granted your only first year, but several of those plants are already starting to take off, and harvest time realistically isnt for another 3 months or so....

Thanks for the input. I am going to just add a board to the top and make a large T-shaped pole. This way I can keep each line separate at the top. Does that seem like a reasonable approach?

Back