Artificial maple extract good for anything?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deeve007

Reaction score
I asked a friend to bring me back some pure maple extract from Canada to use in a future brew, unfortunately she brought this instead... I'm presuming it's not really something I'd want to use in a brew is it? :confused:

fake-maple.jpg

If it tastes good, you can use it. There's nothing in there that'll mess up your beer.

Yeah I'm thinking the most I might use it for, if even that, is when bottling and added to a couple of bottles just for fun. Guess I'm gonna need to source some real maple syrup another way...

I wouldn’t use it. Even on waffles.
Yea for sure agree with that. I would not use anything artificial period. Why, when you could use the real thing? Home brewer general rule of thumb: artificial malts + artificial hops + artificial yeast + artificial water + artificial extract = artificial beer.

Ok folks, this is just a flavoring agent, like vanilla extract. The 'natural and artificial flavoring' is probably fenugreek which has a more maple flavor than maple syrup does. If you like the taste of Maple walnut icecream, that's it. If you don't like that, then don't use it.
I do a 'Maple Porter' or a 'maple slobber' each year, using maple sap in the mash and 8-12 oz. maple syrup in late fermentation. Don't really get much maple character. This year I cheated and added 1 oz. of maple extract as well. A little better, but still not enough for my taste. A friend also did a maple porter and used maple wood spirals in a secondary. Now THAT had great maple character. So, next year.......

Ok folks, this is just a flavoring agent, like vanilla extract. The 'natural and artificial flavoring' is probably fenugreek which has a more maple flavor than maple syrup does. If you like the taste of Maple walnut icecream, that's it. If you don't like that, then don't use it.
I do a 'Maple Porter' or a 'maple slobber' each year, using maple sap in the mash and 8-12 oz. maple syrup in late fermentation. Don't really get much maple character. This year I cheated and added 1 oz. of maple extract as well. A little better, but still not enough for my taste. A friend also did a maple porter and used maple wood spirals in a secondary. Now THAT had great maple character. So, next year.......
Always a good thing to know what may make things "artificial". Fenugreek side effects include diarrhea, stomach upset, bloating, gas, dizziness, headache, and a "maple syrup" odor in urine. It can cause nasal congestion, coughing, wheezing, facial swelling, and severe allergic reactions in hypersensitive people. It might lower blood sugar.

Perhaps the flavoring should really be called what it is and not what it tastes like.

Fenugreek has also been used for centuries in Indian cuisine, among others. This extract, in the quantities you'd use it, will not cause stomach upset (for the average person) any more than maple syrup would.

Fenugreek has also been used for centuries in Indian cuisine, among others. This extract, in the quantities you'd use it, will not cause stomach upset (for the average person) any more than maple syrup would.

Are you saying that I should not have drank that gallon jug of maple syrup??

I know little about Fenugreek...seem like an interesting herb with lots of touted health benefits. One article I saw said that Fenugreek would be listed on the label as "Natural Flavor". Who knows what is used for the "Artificial Flavor" listed.

First mistake was asking for Maple extract.

That's exactly what that is, flavours that taste like Maple suspended in an alcohol solution.

For maple syrup like was previously mentioned, your not going to get a whole lot of flavour during boil or secondary/post. It's almost all fermentable sugars, and the extract will give a better and more noticeable maple flavour without drying your beer out.

That being said, maple syrup can be used with kegging or in regular beers for a hint of flavour to great effect.

You did 1 oz of maple extract to how many gallons of beer? I may have to find some maple wood spirals…

Back