Aronia-Chokecherry-Rowan Berries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timothyap

Reaction score
Hello, I have 18lb Aronia, 6lb Chokecherry, 8lb Rowan Berry.

I already have 5 gallons Aronia wine, but trying to figure out what berries I could mix together (above) to get a decent/different wine flavor with out it tasting real earthy.:confused:

Thanks, T

I know that 13 pounds of chokecherries makes a great 5-gallon batch of wine; this comes out to 2.6 pounds a gallon.

Beyond that, I don't know much, but I hope this helps.

Timothy -

I don't have any other specific information, but here is Yooper's recipe for Wild Chokecherry Wine:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=121092

There might be some tips here, but "in general," if I were going to try what you are going to try, I'd say to mix your berries into a proportion that you'd like to try, then adjust your amount of sugar to get a sufficient OG; by the looks of it, you should be shooting for 1.090-1.100.

Hope this helps -

Ron

Thanks Ron, I did mix all together last Saturday with some raisins, grape juice and lemon juice, this stuff was all getting close to outdated so got rid of it anyway and also used up the berries.
Ended up at 1.109
Might be good enough to drink, time will tell I guess.
Thanks again,
T

Gee's, better really, really, really late than never.
Looked at my notes and see that it was 7 on a scale of 1-10.
Good flavor but should have been sweeter.
Have a Nice Day.
T

Is aronia the same thing as chokecherry? I have a batch of aronia wine going, and I think aronia tastes like dirt (or like beets, which taste like dirt). I ended up adding some Welches grape juice concentrate, because I thought it needed something fruitier too, but would really like in the future to only put in fruits that grow around where we live. It's still sitting in secondary. Plums maybe?

I will be interested to hear how yours turns out!

Back