Best Chicken Wings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheezydemon3 said:
Agreed melana. My grilled jerk wings will match up against ANY fried wings.
Not saying that they are better than any fried wing ever, just that you are a fool if you miss out on them over such a silly generalization.....

Not really...I don't like the over abundance of smokey flavor encountered in grilled chicken and fish.

Upstate NY has the best wings, especially Duffs in Buffalo.

I thought Anchor Bar wings were okay.
I've never had an Anchor Bar wing but I use their Suicide Sauce which is awesome.
I know...but the grilled flavor is still too smokey for me.

Blasphemy!!!

I just made wings by baking them for the first time. Using the broiler at the end made them crispy. I didn't have time to fire up the grill (I use charcoal) and make 60 wings for a group. Or I was lazy, either or. :D

I made a sauce I'll never be able to do again. I used random junk in my fridge starting with mustard and garlic and moving to honey for sweet, various dried peppers for heat and lord knows what. They were seriously awesome. Next time I'll write this shat down. :D

I won't say blasphemy.......to each their own.

But let me get this right......"DON'T LIKE GRILLED CHICKEN"............right?

cheezydemon3 said:
I won't say blasphemy.......to each their own.

But let me get this right......"DON'T LIKE GRILLED CHICKEN"............right?

You got it.

Grilled wings... Oh so crispy and yummy.

wings.jpg

Chicken Wing Dry Rub: Makes about 3/4 cups

2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons Sugar In the Raw
2 tablespoons granulated garlic
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons paprika
2 teaspoons good quality chili powder
2 teaspoons black pepper finely ground
1 teaspoon lemon pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

With a sharp knife, cut the tips off the chicken wings and save them for stock. Slash the inside of the wing joint to help them cook more evenly, but don’t cut them all the way through. Sprinkle liberally with the Chicken Wing Dry Rub then let rest for 20 minutes up to four hours.

Prepare the grill to cook at 375 indirect. Grill the wings for about 45 minutes, do not turn.

If you're using a regular grill over direct heat, I'd say 20-30 minutes flipping at regular intervals until they're nice and crispy would do the trick, just be careful not to burn the rub.

A++++ those look awesome. I'm trying this weekend!

Tried OP's rub tonight.

Def was a hit!! I BBQ'd full chicken pieces, not wings. But next time I'm planning a spicier mix with a little more pepper powder for me, this regular recipe for everyone else.

I fully understand the sugar now too! At first I was all, "uhn? sugar?"... it caramelizes everything to the chicken. hhhhhmmmmmmmmmm!

img_0696-61056.jpg

Awesome thread, HB. I don't think I've seen a recipe on here yet that I don't want to try. Here's the rub that I keep on hand at all times, it hasn't failed me yet:

½ c white sugar
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp garlic
1 tbsp mustard powder
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp black pepper (I use a heavy tbsp here...)
2 tsp cayenne pepper (Go heavy here, too, you won't be sorry)
2 tsp Tony Cachere's Cajun Seasoning (I'm sure other cajun seasoning works too, but this is what I've used since childhood)
1 tsp onion powder

Coat the wings, grill/bake/smoke/whatever as you prefer, and when they are done sprinkle a little more over them for good measure.

Ok, I know some are die hard wing fryers and some are grillers. Let me share with you a recipe I found on allrecipes.com for baked hot wings. People that try these can't believe I made them, they think that I bought them from somewhere.

This recipe is good for 10-15 wings. Just double or triple if you're making that much.

Cut off wing tip and separate at joint.
salt and pepper all wings, I usually put them in a freezer ziplock beforehand.
Add 3 tbsp. franks red hot or favorite hot sauce

at this point you can let the seasoning soak into the wings for a few hours ahead of time if you're not going to cook right away. When ready to cook:

preheat overn to 400*F
add 2tbsp oil
massage the wings to get them all oiled up :D
add 1 cup flour
again work the flour in and make sure all wings are coated

Take a cookie sheet and cover in foil. Spray the foil in non stick cooking spray
Arrange wings side by side, then give them a spray down with non stick cooking spray
bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes, turn wings over one by one and continue to bake another 20-25 mins on the other side.

While they're baking, take more of your hot sauce in a saucepan, combine with 1-3 tbsp. butter and simmer till butter's melted, but not boiling

When wings are done, put them in a large mixing bowl and toss with your hot sauce/butter mixture.

Serve with blue cheese dressing and celery sticks, in addition to your favorite beer of choice.

I find straight baked wings to be quite dry...I have found that steaming the wings for 15 minutes before baking makes them crispy on the outside, but juicy and delicious on the inside...tip of the hat to my fav cooking show of all time, Good Eats and Alton Brown for the idea.

Back