Best use of 5 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nummey

Reaction score
For my 4th brew, I brewed up a batch of Brewers Best Summer ale this past weekend on 6/8. I'd like to take it camping with me in 5 weeks so I'm wondering....should I ferment for 3 weeks (my norm) and bottle condition for 2 weeks or should I ferment in primary for 2 weeks then bottle condition for 3 weeks? What are the pros and cons? My OG reading after brewing was 1.044 and it's fermenting around 70-72.

thanks

For my 4th brew, I brewed up a batch of Brewers Best Summer ale this past weekend on 6/8. I'd like to take it camping with me in 5 weeks so I'm wondering....should I ferment for 3 weeks (my norm) and bottle condition for 2 weeks or should I ferment in primary for 2 weeks then bottle condition for 3 weeks? What are the pros and cons? My OG reading after brewing was 1.044 and it's fermenting around 70-72.

thanks

For a 1.044 beer, it probably doesn't need more than 10-14 days in the fermenter at most. It should be done in 3-5 days, then give it another 5 days or so to clear, and then cold crash it if you can. Bottle, then let it carb up and condition for 3 weeks.

Yooper has it right. If you like 70-72*f for fermentation, it'll likely ferment out quickly. 10-14 days in primary then bottle for 3 weeks.

Watch that your temps don't get too high during the initial fermentation.

Thanks guys.....I'll be away on day 13 and 14 so looks like I'll plan on cold crashing in my garage fridge on day 10 and then bottle on day 12. Is 2 days enough to cold crash or should I skip this based on my tight window of time. I wish I brewed this one a couple weeks sooner but life got in the way!
Looks like I may need to read up a bit on cold crashing....

Cold crash for 2 days would be fine. You may want to take gravity readings on day 8 and 10 to ensure fermentation is complete before crashing it. Risk, if its not, is once you bottle the under fermented beer and let the beer bottle carb at 70*, the yeast will continue to finish the fermentation. This, added to your priming sugar could risk over carbonation and bottle bombs.

If its stable, like I think it will be, your schedule sounds good.

Back