Extremely Different Fermentation Activity with a 10 Gal Batch Split b/t 2 Carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jawilson20

Reaction score
I brewed 10 gallons of APA (1.056 OG) on Friday 3/29 (9 days ago). I split a 2 liter starter of WLP 001 between the two 5 gallon carboys.

I have noticed an extreme difference in the fermentation behavior of the two batches.

One carboy seemed to ferment similar to other batches I have made, having had active fermentation from 1-3 days after brewing. Visible fermenttaion was completed as expected.

The other carboy is still bubbling the blowoff container today! This carboy took off as expected and did appear to be a more vigorous fermentation while both were going.

What is going on with carboy two? I have never experienced anything like this in my brewing and I am wondering if somehow I may have pitched up wild yeast. What should I look for to see if there is anything wrong with batch two?

Thanks

Back