Test: Temp while fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyBob

Reaction score
I am going brew a partial mash Double IPA today. Can't wait! I've read a lot of threads about temps while fermenting and how it can increase 5-10 degrees. I have a fermenter and a stc-1000 temp controller I built. I usually insulate it and tape to side. Never had problems but I can't help but wonder if the temps are higher. I'm gonna try and run a digital thermometer down into carboy and still tape the controller probe to side. Test it out and share my findings. Anyone care to add if this would cause an issue with fermenting. I would just sanitize the probe. Here's some pics.
Thanks and cheers.

image-4223126714.jpg

image-4227407568.jpg

image-4257708573.jpg

Keep us informed. I'm highly curious to know if there is a huge temp difference :)

There are a few other forum members who have done this test in the past. They've reported a difference between the middle of the fermenter and the side of it (with the probe taped and insulated) of about 1*F or so at the active peak of ferment.

I've got two batches in my fermentation freezer, with the controller set to 60 for the first couple of days, and I have one batch with US04 and another with US05.

I have the probe taped to the US04 with a piece of memory foam over it.

The US04 is 64 and the US05 is 65.

Post back what you find, but like it was said.. Some people have done it and find that there isn't much difference in the side and the core of the wort.

Very interesting experiment. Let us know how it works out. Also I was wondering what make/model mini fridge you have and whether or not you had to make any modifications to it. Thanks.

Look forward to the results too.

I also wonder what would happen if the fermenter was in a water bath? That's what I use and I've heard the temps are about the same. I should test it out myself.

Couldn't brew my IPA today. Ended going and seeing Superman(very awesome) my fridge is a Sayno. It's black on the outside sides and silver in the front. I can't get model number but its at least a 4.5 cu ft. I didn't have to make any mods. My 6 gallon better bottle carboy and 6 1/2 primary bucket fun well with a 1 gallon glass jug(I used for blow off) it cost me $50. Got it on Craigslist. I hunted and researched many fridges. I don't have a lot of space so I needed something like this. Works well. Here's a pic with a summer ale menting away. Hope this helps. Ill try see if I can get it but its pretty worn where it was.

image-246429346.jpg

GuyBob said:
Couldn't brew my IPA today. Ended going and seeing Superman(very awesome) my fridge is a Sayno. It's black on the outside sides and silver in the front. I can't get model number but its at least a 4.5 cu ft. I didn't have to make any mods. My 6 gallon better bottle carboy and 6 1/2 primary bucket fun well with a 1 gallon glass jug(I used for blow off) it cost me $50. Got it on Craigslist. I hunted and researched many fridges. I don't have a lot of space so I needed something like this. Works well. Here's a pic with a summer ale menting away. Hope this helps. Ill try see if I can get it but its pretty worn where it was.

Edit: I will report the temp once I get moving. Prob this weekend. I hope

If you're trying to measure the difference between beer and ambient temp, then consider that you really need to use that same probe to measure both the beer temp and the ambient using a glass of liquid. Comparing this probe to a thermostat setting won't be reliable.

If you're trying to measure the difference between beer and ambient temp, then consider that you really need to use that same probe to measure both the beer temp and the ambient using a glass of liquid. Comparing this probe to a thermostat setting won't be reliable.

this. Or at least you need to calibrate both thermometers to each other.

Screw the naysayers guybob. I want to know what you find. If they find it "validly comparable data" or not is irrelevant. I'm not even sure why you would post up just to **** on a diy idea...unless that's just the sort of thing you enjoy doing.

Also, as long as both thermometers are calibrated together, you don't have to use the same one. This isn't master's thesis for a Physics degree, but that doesn't mean some of us aren't interested. It'll be accurate enough for my purposes.

I agree jbaysurfer. It's not gonna be published in a science book or anything. On a recent batch I insulated the tstat probe to side of bucket. I also had a glass 1 gallon jug with sanitizer. I would take temps of the sanitizer with a glass thermometer and was pretty darn close to what the probe was reading. I did this so I didn't have to take my bucket lid off plus risk infection. They are both dialed in very close. I m just looking to see if there is a reasonable difference between fermentation. It won't be exact but if there was 2-5 degree difference I would know. Remember people, were brewing beer here not saving lives! Brew on and keep calm!

image-2698032521.jpg

A few things you'll probably find:
- For cooler fermentations, the temp delta is less. For lagers, you may only see 1-2F difference.
- The temp delta is higher for yeasts fermenting vigorously. Along these lines, I believe higher gravity beers will also have a greater delta.
- The temp delta drops when fermentation slows down.

These have been my observations.

Back