Are you using a Speidel fermentation tank? NEW PRODUCT from Nor Cal Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your looking for a ball valve go with the dip tube. Then you can turn it to get above the yeast line. How are you going to be adding priming sugar?

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Speidel-Fermenter-Dip-Tube-NPT-Male.html

Cheers
Jay

I bought a dip tube for my 30L a while back and I was surprised how big it it. With nothing in the vessel, i got it set up with a ball valve, but couldn't figure out how transfers would work since this thing wants to point directly down. I'm sure its great at getting a lot of liquid, but my hoppy beers usually have a trub/yeast line that is pretty close to the height of the valve. With the OG plastic valve you can rotate it a bit, but does not gain you too much. Lately, I've been tilting the fermenter for the last 4-5 days to keep the sediment away from the valve so I get a cleaner transfer.

The way the threads were created, it makes it pretty awkward if you want to point the dip tube up, the valve handle will be upside.

Im very curious how others with the dip tube have overcome this problem? Maybe it isnt a problem, and Im just worried about nothing?

I bought a dip tube for my 30L a while back and I was surprised how big it it. With nothing in the vessel, i got it set up with a ball valve, but couldn't figure out how transfers would work since this thing wants to point directly down. I'm sure its great at getting a lot of liquid, but my hoppy beers usually have a trub/yeast line that is pretty close to the height of the valve. With the OG plastic valve you can rotate it a bit, but does not gain you too much. Lately, I've been tilting the fermenter for the last 4-5 days to keep the sediment away from the valve so I get a cleaner transfer.

The way the threads were created, it makes it pretty awkward if you want to point the dip tube up, the valve handle will be upside.

Im very curious how others with the dip tube have overcome this problem? Maybe it isnt a problem, and Im just worried about nothing?

I don't have one of these, yet. But, I'm a happy 60l owner. Curious if you could loosen the ring that holds the dip tube in(Orange ring, whatever it's called) and turn the dip tube/racking arm. I've turned the standard spout this way. A touch of keg lube may help.
If so, you could ferment with the arm at 3 or 9 o'clock, then turn it down a bit to get to the trub line.
I still tilt my Speidel, but whirlpooling followed by a rest of the kettle before transfer helped a lot.

I don't have one of these, yet. But, I'm a happy 60l owner. Curious if you could loosen the ring that holds the dip tube in(Orange ring, whatever it's called) and turn the dip tube/racking arm. I've turned the standard spout this way. A touch of keg lube may help.
If so, you could ferment with the arm at 3 or 9 o'clock, then turn it down a bit to get to the trub line.
I still tilt my Speidel, but whirlpooling followed by a rest of the kettle before transfer helped a lot.

You can loosen and turn the unit. I'd recommend you get the new gasket Jbird makes for the units the original gasket is a little tricky to maneuver but the new jbird design works great!

what Dcp said. Get the new gasket. My normal practice is
1. ferment with tube at about 7 oclock
2. If I want to take a sample turn it up to 12 oclock
3. if ready to rack turn it up to 12 o clock and then as I get towards empty twist slowly to eek out another quart or two without getting much yeast.

I must say that with the new gaskets I love this setup.

Jay sells a gasket that fits around the rim of the wide metal part. Check his website or he'll probably chime in.

Would this be the "Speidel Accessory Gasket - Silicone" listed on his site?

I purchased one of the dip tubes for my 30 liter Speidel when they first became available, but could never get it installed where it didn't leak, so I never actually used it. It sounds like this could be the solution.

It looks like he's added a few additional Speidel accessories since I last checked the site. Has anyone tried the top mounted thermowell with a Johnson A419 temp controller?

Would this be the "Speidel Accessory Gasket - Silicone" listed on his site?

I purchased one of the dip tubes for my 30 liter Speidel when they first became available, but could never get it installed where it didn't leak, so I never actually used it. It sounds like this could be the solution.

It looks like he's added a few additional Speidel accessories since I last checked the site. Has anyone tried the top mounted thermowell with a Johnson A419 temp controller?

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Speidel-Accessory-Gasket-Silicone.html

This is the gasket they are referring too.

Cheers
Jay

Jay sells a gasket that fits around the rim of the wide metal part. Check his website or he'll probably chime in.

So help me out here. The gasket just seals the fermentor, so how does this help you rotate the dip tube without leaking?

So help me out here. The gasket just seals the fermentor, so how does this help you rotate the dip tube without leaking?

The gasket rotates with the racking arm vs against it.
Sliding silicon across plastic is easier than sliding stainless across silicon(or whatever the stock seal is).

Back