Using lager yeast at room temp; permissible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyMac81

Reaction score
I brewed an Oktoberfest and didn't realize I grabbed lager yeast at the lhbs until I already pitched it and was cleaning up. Can I continue as is? What should I expect in terms of time to completion from this?

It will probably produce a lot of esters, and in turn, some off-flavors. It might also ferment out very quickly because of the temps, unless you can get it down closer to 60 degrees like i4ourgot mentioned.

My house is generally two cold for ales (between 55 and 60) and I was making nice beer without actually lagering the beer down at the 40 range. Maybe use some ice packs just before it gets to high krausen to help keep the temp down.

the least worst option would probably be to pitch two packs of dry ALE ALE ALE yeast NOW
there are a few lager strains you could get away with this...838, 840, the wyeast common yeast..

Back