In secondary too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMTnew2brew

Reaction score
I had brewed a recipe and put it in the primary fermenter for 10 days, then put it into a clean sanitized secondary where it remains, and will until I get home in about a month, so that'll be almost 7 weeks in the secondary. Is that too long?

Nope, not too long. It could go on for months, as long as you keep the airlock from going dry. Did you cover it with something to prevent light from getting in?

After 3-4 months in secondary, adding fresh yeast at bottling may be prudent, but shouldn't be ncessary at 7 weeks.

It's not covered but it's in a cool(70-75) degree room that is pretty dark all the time

Yeah you will be fine. I have left stouts in primary for 3-4 months and have never had an issue. A good tip is to always wrap your fermenter in something to help block out light. In summer I put a t-shirt on my carboy an in winter a hoodie.

If it's a hoppy style, you will lose much of the hopiness. But it will be drinkable in any case. Some beers are better with ageing.

For that length of time it would have been fine if you left it in the primary. I've done it and got some very good beer that way. I'd do it more often but I get impatient to start drinking the latest creation and have to get it carbonated before that long.:cross:

Back