Mexican Lager Recipe help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McBrewskie

Reaction score
Okay so I think I originally posted this in the wrong forum. Sorry mods.:(

Doing 2 Mexican Lagers for a party. One similar to Bohemia and one to Negro Modelo. Love Mexican Lagers, but as a brewer this is new territory. Can y'all take a look at these and maybe throw out some thoughts?

Here's the first one.

Amber
5 lbs German Pilsner*
5 lbs Vienna
8 oz Crystal 40L
4 oz Crystal 75L
4 oz Crystal 120L
4 oz Chocolate Malt

Hops:
.5 oz*Saaz*Bittering Hops boiled for 45 minutes
1.5 oz*Saaz*Flavoring Hops boiled the last 30 minutes*
.5 oz Northern Brewer*Aroma Hops are boiled the last 10 minutes

1/2 a whrifloc at 5

Mash
154°F * For 90 minutes

Sparge 168

Here's the second one.

Light

3 gallons mash
4 gallons sparge

11 pounds weyermann Bohemia pilsner malt
8 oz crystal 15
8 oz carapila

2 oz saaz at 60
2 oz saaz at 10
2 oz saaz at 1

1/2 a whrifloc at 5

Mash

150°F * For 90 minutes

Sparge 168

I love hallertau so I am considering dropping Saaz for hallertau.

Okay, 96 views and nothing so I'll be more specific.

Do the grain bills look alright. I'm feeling good about the 2nd recipe, the lighter lager, but am somewhat hesitant on the first recipe. I think it would turn out well, but am questioning the chocolate malt some.

Also, does anyone see any reason not to substitute hallertau for the Saaz in the second recipe? Maybe a combination of the two?

I'm no Mexican lager expert at all! The only thing close I've made is a SMaSH Vienna lager that I think came out very much like a Negra Modelo.

It was a double decoction with Vienna malt, and hopped to 25ish IBUs with noble hops. ( I can't quite remember if they were tettnang or hallertauer, but I can check if you really want to know).

Your thread reminded me of this old article: http://byo.com/stories/issue/item/1564-vienna-lager-in-exile

Okay so I think I originally posted this in the wrong forum. Sorry mods.:(

Doing 2 Mexican Lagers for a party. One similar to Bohemia and one to Negro Modelo. Love Mexican Lagers, but as a brewer this is new territory. Can y'all take a look at these and maybe throw out some thoughts?

Here's the first one.

Amber
5 lbs German Pilsner*
5 lbs Vienna
8 oz Crystal 40L
4 oz Crystal 75L
4 oz Crystal 120L
4 oz Chocolate Malt

Hops:
.5 oz*Saaz*Bittering Hops boiled for 45 minutes
1.5 oz*Saaz*Flavoring Hops boiled the last 30 minutes*
.5 oz Northern Brewer*Aroma Hops are boiled the last 10 minutes

1/2 a whrifloc at 5

Mash
154°F * For 90 minutes

Sparge 168
Way too much crystal for a lager! I've done this one a few times to give you some ideas...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f57/mexican-lager-254955/

If I remember correctly the AHS negra modelo clone extract recipe kit has 3 oz of chocolate malt. I brewed this recipe, but was not able to lager. Made a very good beer, but not exactly modelo. Chocolate taste was noticeable which I don't really remember in the actual modelo. Not a bad thing (I actually really like the hint of chocolate) just different.

I'm no Mexican lager expert at all! The only thing close I've made is a SMaSH Vienna lager that I think came out very much like a Negra Modelo.

It was a double decoction with Vienna malt, and hopped to 25ish IBUs with noble hops. ( I can't quite remember if they were tettnang or hallertauer, but I can check if you really want to know).

Your thread reminded me of this old article: http://byo.com/stories/issue/item/1564-vienna-lager-in-exile

Thanks Yooper. No need to look up, my affinity for hallertauer knows no bounds. Gonna go with that.

If I remember correctly the AHS negra modelo clone extract recipe kit has 3 oz of chocolate malt. I brewed this recipe, but was not able to lager. Made a very good beer, but not exactly modelo. Chocolate taste was noticeable which I don't really remember in the actual modelo. Not a bad thing (I actually really like the hint of chocolate) just different.

I like the idea, 2-3 oz sounds better than the 4. If it works might try it again at the holidays with a slight bit of cinnamon and chilli pepper to mimmick Mexican chocolate.

Here's the second one.

Light

3 gallons mash
4 gallons sparge

11 pounds weyermann Bohemia pilsner malt
8 oz crystal 15
8 oz carapila

2 oz saaz at 60
2 oz saaz at 10
2 oz saaz at 1

1/2 a whrifloc at 5

Mash

150°F * For 90 minutes

Sparge 168

I love hallertau so I am considering dropping Saaz for hallertau.

Okay, thinking of replacing a pound of pilsner with corn and dumping the crystal to 4 oz.

Latest posts

Back