Porter vs Ale vs Saison vs Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cswileyatl

Reaction score
It's time for my office annual brew competition. Last year we won with our 10-57 Georgia Honey Wheat - (look up police codes) and the challenge was to brew with local honey. This year we have to use a fruit or nut grown in Georgia. Kudzu definitely won't work, but we were thinking one of the following four:

1. A Pecan Imperial Porter - "the Georgia nut king"
2. A Pecan Brown Ale - "Georgia Pecan Tan"
3. A Peach Saison - "Peach Saisweeeeet"
4. A Peach Whit - "10-58 Georgia Peach"

What do you think will turn out the best!!

Saison would be good, but it'll be dry and spicy, so I'm afraid the peach will get buried. That said, as a proud saison brewer I'd go for it. I think the peach wit might be easier to pull off. Pecan beers are usually pretty tasty, but from previous threads it seems like a hassle to prepare them.

Peaches are known to give not much flavor in beer. Plus most peach production has moved to California and South Carolina. I'm not sure which of those is worse to a Georgian. I think you should try to pull off Vidalia Onions, but I'll understand if you don't.

cswileyatl said:
It's time for my office annual brew competition. Last year we won with our 10-57 Georgia Honey Wheat - (look up police codes) and the challenge was to brew with local honey. This year we have to use a fruit or nut grown in Georgia. Kudzu definitely won't work, but we were thinking one of the following four:

1. A Pecan Imperial Porter - "the Georgia nut king"
2. A Pecan Brown Ale - "Georgia Pecan Tan"
3. A Peach Saison - "Peach Saisweeeeet"
4. A Peach Whit - "10-58 Georgia Peach"

What do you think will turn out the best!!

Plenty of great fruit to choose from. Blackberries, mayhaws in south Ga, apples, blueberries in north Ga. I made a grits cream ale( I know not a fruit or nut, but what says Ga more than grits) and its great if I do say so my self.

Why not use both? Shiner makes a great holiday beer using peaches and pecans with a dunkelweizen base. There is even a clone recipe for it somewhere around here for inspiration.

I would expect peaches to be the obvious choice and thus you need to nail it to stand out. I like Kingwood Kid's Vidalia suggestion. Maybe caramelize a bunch to add in an English mild or brown ale. Would a vegetable be disqualified?

If going with pecans I'd shirk convention of a dark beer and go a Saison yeast and grist route. Keep the grist simple such as only Belgian Pilsner and rye, so it exposes mainly yeast and pecan character.

I just brewed a peach and ginger wheat that I lovingly refer to as "Georgia redhead." Here's the skinny:

10 gal batch

10# red wheat
7.5# two row
2.5# munich

Hopped with citra and mosaic. Threw 7# peaches in at 15. I started with 10# whole, fresh peaches, pitted and sliced them. Froze them, thawed them. I highly advise you to throw the peaches into muslin bags. They made a total mess of my boil kettle. I threw 2-3 oz fresh sliced ginger in @15 as well. Used us-05. Finished super dry at 1.005. The peaches melded really well with the hops. The ginger is pretty mild, which is exactly what I was aiming for. I haven't carbed it yet, but every gravity sample has been delicious.

Good luck.

I wondered how to caramelize the onions without oil. God bless you Google, there's a way: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/caramelize-onions-fat-5030.html But it involves about a teaspoon of salt per large onion. If you brew a Vidalia Gose, I'd be really impressed. Maybe I'll brew a 1-Gallon batch of 1015 Gose. On more conventional lines, blackberry beers are awesome, and will work with almost any low-hopped style.

Back