Wort chiller off color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salb29

Reaction score
I used chiller for first time a week ago before I used it I soaked in oxy clean for a couple hours then used it last ten min of boil and noticed an oily residue in beer, so I'm going to brew tomorrow morning and I had the idea to boil it night before to get rid of any more oils it might still have, so i boiled it for about 30 min, took it out to cool and now Instead of being shiny it's back to being dull, is this safe to use?? Any ideas?

If you rinsed the oxyclean off well, you're fine. Want it shiny? It needs to be in an acidic solution... like wort. I pretty much just use dish soap and a good rinse when I clean mine, then into the wort it goes 15 minutes before flame out to get sanitized. That's all you really need to do.

I'm just making sure that it going back to a dull almost off black color is fine, it was shiny then I boiled it today using plain water and it turned to that off dull almost black color

Thanks for all the help guys and I was a little off by saying black, it looks more like a dull penny which I re read palmers and that is what the chiller needs to look like not neccesarly shiny

After cleaning I submerge mine in star san solution for about 20min and it comes out shiny new penny look.

I soak mine in starsan for a few minutes prior to boil. A few minutes is all it takes and its nice and shiny clean.

+1 to what GAS said.

When I remove mine after chilling, it is shiny like a new penny and then it goes right into a waiting 5 gallon kettle that is filled with a mixture of the hot water that just came from the chiller and some PBW.
I have dialed my process in to include cleaning up as I go, taking into consideration not to waste anything including time and especially hot water.

My chiller is always brand new and shiny looking.

Back