Partial Mash Simcoe IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s1911

Reaction score
IPA

3.3lbs Light LME
4 lbs US 2-Row
1 lb Crystal 40L
.5 lb Carapils

3 oz Simcoe Hops
.5 oz @60 minutes
.5 oz @40 minutes
1 oz @20 minutes
1 oz @2minutes

Ferment with Safale S-05

I am thinking of brewing this up for my next batch. Never drafted my own IPA recipe before. Any input? or does this look good to go.

All grain would be about 9lbs of 2 row, and extract would be about 6.5lbs of light extract for those who do all grain or extract only. :)

s1911 said:
IPA

3.3lbs Light LME
4 lbs US 2-Row
1 lb Crystal 40L
.5 lb Carapils

3 oz Simcoe Hops
.5 oz @60 minutes
.5 oz @40 minutes
1 oz @20 minutes
1 oz @2minutes

Ferment with Safale S-05

I am thinking of brewing this up for my next batch. Never drafted my own IPA recipe before. Any input? or does this look good to go.

All grain would be about 9lbs of 2 row, and extract would be about 6.5lbs of light extract for those who do all grain or extract only. :)

I would cut the crystal 40 to .5 lb and change the hop schedule. Do 1 oz at 60, 1 oz at 15, .5 oz at 5, .5 oz at flameout. If you have more than I would dry hop too.

+1 to forstmeister. The general consensus seems to be that for bittering, use 60 minute hops. After that, save everything for 15 minutes to flame out for flavor.

I have never done a partial mash. But, my experience is that extract does not ferment as dry as grain. And, my best IPAs have finished pretty dry under 1.01. While more experienced brewers should chime in, maybe add some sugar to dry it out. .5 pound?

Assuming a 5-gallon batch, here's what I get from TastyBrew:
OG = 1052, FG = 1013, ABV = 5.0, IBU = 88, SRM = 8.

So it's at the low end for OG and FG for the style, and beyond hoppy.

For grain, 15% caramel malt is a little high. Instead of cutting the Crystal 40L, however, I'd ditch the CaraPils. It's not giving you much except for body, where C40L is giving you flavor, as well as body. You could then add a pound of amber DME or wheat DME, or even a pound of Vienna malt, to give some added complexity, if that appeals.

For hops, Forstmeister has a good point - That 40 minute addition isn't doing much for you other than supplemental bitterness, when presumably you're trying for flavor. Using Forstmeister's hopping schedule results in about the same IBU (86), but better flavor. My suggestion would be to move the 40 minute addition to first wort hop (effectively 20 minutes for IBU), which should further improve flavor, but drop the bitteress to 71 IBU. You might also consider choosing another citrusy hop to partner with your Simcoe (Amarillo, Cascade, or Centennial would work nicely) for one of the additions, just to add some flavor complexity.

Still, it looks good, and if you like your IPA that hoppy, then this might be worth trying as is once to see how you like it. Post how it turns out.

Hmmm. Alrighty I'll go with the other hop schedule and ditch the 40 minute. The crystal 40 is 15% of my 5.5lb grain bill but im also using light LME.. which would up the 2 row and drop the crystal 40 down to about 7 or 8% of the malt.. if that makes sense? maybe not.. anyway my LHBS sells LME by 2 and 6 lbs only.. so to up the alcohol I will buy two 2lbs upping the extract by a pound. I dont have any software so I'm doing this all out of theory but hopefully that works. I was thinking of replacing an addition for some cascade to add complexity. So it would be 1oz simcoe at 60, 1 oz cascade at 20, .5 simcoe at 5 and .5 simcoe at flameout. Ill try and find a software to figure out the IBUs on that.

The crystal 40 is 15% of my 5.5lb grain bill but im also using light LME.. which would up the 2 row and drop the crystal 40 down to about 7 or 8% of the malt

But the carapils is also a crystal malt - so as written you are at 15% crystal on the total grainbill. With that much crystal and the extract you may finish higher than you would want for an IPA. I agree with ditching the carapils totally, could consider even backing down the C-40. If you're having issues with odd quantities of extract I'd go with DME. It stores better, plus you can use it for starters if you ever use liquid yeast.

I get ya. I suppose I'll ditch the carapils and consider dropping the crystal 40 down to 12oz, and I'll have to check what he carries for DME sizes but im not opposed to using dry, so I'll definitely look into that, thanks man

And I just looked at that brew calculator, thats awesome! I've been looking but most things I find require me to pay or download something so thats awesome!! thanks!

Welp, if anyone cares I tested different things and put a recipe together on some software and came up with the final recipe. I'm going with:

6lbs Light LME
4lbs US 2-Row
1lb Crystal 40L

1oz Simcoe @60
1oz Cascade @15
.5oz Simcoe @5
.5 oz Simcoe @0

6.2% ABV
81 IBUs (Im a bit of a hop head so this is good for me)

I'll have to see how it turns out! Thanks for all the input!

Welp, if anyone cares I tested different things and put a recipe together on some software and came up with the final recipe. I'm going with:

6lbs Light LME
4lbs US 2-Row
1lb Crystal 40L

1oz Simcoe @60
1oz Cascade @15
.5oz Simcoe @5
.5 oz Simcoe @0

6.2% ABV
81 IBUs (Im a bit of a hop head so this is good for me)

I'll have to see how it turns out! Thanks for all the input!

Looks better! Have you used Simcoe before? I prefer it for later additions since its flavor and aroma are fantastic. I tried it once at 60 and was underwhelmed at it's bittering capabilities. You may differ though.

I have used it once with the first kit I made but don't remember when it was boiled. I'm just gonna go for it and see how it goes.

Havent been checking this much sorry, but it turned out pretty good. I tend to like more floral, 'west coast' tasting hops so it was a little different than what im used to since this was only my second IPA. The simcoe overpowered the cascade so if I had to do it again I'd probably switch the cascade for cenntenial or something stronger... it was different, but different isnt a bad thing.

Back