What to do with Macadamia nuts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Microphobik

Reaction score
Just picked a big bag of Macadamia nuts from my tree and my first thought is always, what can I brew with these? I'm not finding any wine or beer recipes that use real Macadamia nuts. Anyone know of any proven recipes or uses for Macadamia nuts?

I know nothing about this.
But a Macadamia nut porter sounds good. Don't know how to incorporate the nuts in porter but crushing them then adding them as dry hops additions might work.

I think I have a recipe for almond wine somewhere, maybe you could substitute. if you want I can look for it

Id be worried about all the oils in the nuts going into beer, unless you dry roasted them for a good while....

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Really I was just wondering if there were any established recipes out there that I was missing. Doesn't sound like it. I'll give it some more thought. Thanks again.

I would be tempted to make macadamia nut milk via http://www.thetastyalternative.com/2012/06/homemade-macadamia-nut-milk-dairy-free.html?m=1 then placing the well strained/pressed nut pulp in a single layer on parchment and baking in oven until lightly toasted. Turn/toss the pulp often. Allow to cool and give it a go using the nut pulp. Maybe make a macadamia nut mead? I am pretty sure Jack Keller has a few nut wine recipes, so you could consult those for idea on amount of nuts to use.

Id be worried about all the oils in the nuts going into beer, unless you dry roasted them for a good while....

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the oils will ruin your head retention. I don't know if there are any dangers of them going rancid and spoiling the batch.

I would be tempted to make macadamia nut milk by mirroring almond milk process, and then placing the well strained/pressed nut pulp in a single layer on parchment and baking in oven until lightly toasted. Turn/toss the pulp often. Allow to cool and give it a go using the nut pulp. Maybe make a macadamia nut mead? I am pretty sure Jack Keller has a few nut wine recipes, so you could consult those for idea on amount of nuts to use.

Thanks, good suggestion. The first thing i did was search Jack Keller's site and was surprised that I couldn't find anything with Macadamias. Made me nervous that it wouldn't taste very good. But I suppose that's why we need to experiment. A macadamia mead is a good suggestion. Perhaps I'll give a small 1 gallon batch a try and see what happens.

Thanks again.

If you want to extract the flavor from the nuts, you could dry roast them, crush them and steep them in some plain vodka for a few months, strain, and add this when bottling whatever you do make. Most the flavor in nuts in only fat/alcohol soluble. You won't get much flavor if you steep them in just water so tea is not a good idea. I would let them sit with the vodka and strain very well through fine cheesecloth pressing on the solids to extract it all. Then add your extract to taste at bottling. I have made a number of extracts with this method, and it works well. You can even make homemade liqueurs with way by adding sugar the extract. You would have something along the lines of amaretto or frangelico withe the flavor of macadamias instead of almonds or hazelnuts. It could be very good with the right beer/wine/mead.

If you want to extract the flavor from the nuts, you could dry roast them, crush them and steep them in some plain vodka for a few months, strain, and add this when bottling whatever you do make. Most the flavor in nuts in only fat/alcohol soluble. You won't get much flavor if you steep them in just water so tea is not a good idea. I would let them sit with the vodka and strain very well through fine cheesecloth pressing on the solids to extract it all. Then add your extract to taste at bottling. I have made a number of extracts with this method, and it works well. You can even make homemade liqueurs with way by adding sugar the extract. You would have something along the lines of amaretto or frangelico withe the flavor of macadamias instead of almonds or hazelnuts. It could be very good with the right beer/wine/mead.

Great suggestion, thanks. I'm doing that now with some cacao beans but didn't know how it would work with more traditional nuts. I'll give it a go. Any suggestion on the ratios? How many nuts per gallon of wine/bear? I assume I just add enough vodka to cover?

I would just wing it the first time. I would use a at least a pound of nuts to one bottle of vodka and see what strength you get. Make sure to roast the nuts first as this brings out the flavor better. I have never done it with macadamias, but have with hazelnuts and the results were great. I don't know how much to add to a specific amount of beer/wine/mead. It would be a taste preference thing. Just give it a taste when bottling and add more to your liking as you go. Just don't add too much all at once. Taste your homemade extract and use your better judgment for you first addition. If it is lacking in flavor add more untiil you like it. It may take a couple of tried before you get it right.

Back