Topping off during fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qbrewer

Reaction score
Partial mash red ale that I pitched onto a yeastcake from the last batch. 5 gallons of wort into a 6 gallon carboy and it started fermentation almost immediately. In fact the fermentation was so active it blew the airlock out of the stopper within 8 hours and took at least a gallon of wort with it. My question is whether I can boil a gallon of water for 15 mins or so and top off to get my full volume. Is that crazy to even talk about?

Can you do it? Yes. Should you do it? That's a tougher one. How strong is the beer, as adding water will change the sugar amount. Is it an IPA? Because it will affect the overall IBU's. There are lots of factors to consider that you need to take into account.

As for the air lock blowing off. Take a 3 piece air lock. Remove the top and take out the guts. Then get a length of hose that will be long enough to attach to the inner tube of the air lock and you can still run to a bowl/growler/milk jug with starsan. This allows to minimize messes. after fermentation has calmed down you can pull the 3 piece and pop on a regular air lock to let it finish. Dried krausen in the tubing is a pain to clean.

It wasn't just water that you lost, it was your balanced mixture providing you hit your numbers right, so adding water is just going to dilute your beer. Like said before, stick a tube in the stopper or however you have to do it, and put the other end into a pitcher or something of water.

Back