WLP 530, Too late to lower temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugrad02

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Brewed up a Belgian Blonde yesterday using WLP 530 (made a starter the day prior). I ran out of 6.5 gallon carboys and had to resort to using a 5 gallon carboy which doesn't have a Fermometer thermometer stuck to the carboy. I pitched the yeast a bit too high at about 72 and have to guess what it is now. It could be as high as 74 or 75.

Is it too late to throw it in a swamp cooler to bring the temp down? It really took off and is currently fermenting like mad. Too late?

I have read that this temp can handle higher temps much like its use in the brewery from which it came, but I really don't want to funk the beer up too much with off flavors. I should have thrown it in the swamp cooler to begin with. Lesson learned.

Thanks.

Go ahead and cool it down. It will clean itself up nicely, no worries! Being in FL, I brew many Ales at high temps (76-80). My lagers I start hot and then cool to 50-66. Always great tasting.

WLP530 is fine with somewhat higher temps. The point of Belgian yeast is the tasty esters, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

If you don't know the temp now, how will you know what it is in the swamp cooler? You don't want it too cold either.

Back