First wine batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mChavez

Reaction score
Hi!

After trying to homebrew ale about a month ago my mrs talked me into getting a wine kit too.
We got a california conoisseur Rojo Tinto and racked it into primary today.

How long would recommend keeping it in the primary (kit suggests 1 week) and would you recommend transferring it into secondary at all?

Thank you.

Chavez.

Thanks.
Following instructions seems to be one of the main reasons for failure with beer kits so I'm being cautious =))

Thanks.
Following instructions seems to be one of the main reasons for failure with beer kits so I'm being cautious =))

I don't know the wine kit you're using, but I've done many wine kits over the years.

Unlike beer kits, the wine kits are great when the instructions are followed exactly. Secondary is absolutely required, in the correctly sized carboy (generally 6 gallons for wine kits). Degassing is done according to the instructions and time table, and the wine kit usually comes with a guarantee.

"High end" wine kits- running $150+- make a great bottle of wine. Cheaper kits are drinkable sooner, and make an acceptable to very good bottle, depending on the kit. With wine kits, you do get what you pay for.

Back