Any hop trearment for dry hoping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 144938

Reaction score
Should I boil or treat somehow the hops I will be using for dry hoping before using them so I do not spoil my beer?

not necessary....I've been told hops acts almost like a preservative. just chunk it in there. you may get additional bubbling after that. will take several days for the hops to sink to the bottom.

treat them kindly prior to adding them to the carboy, that way when you drop them in they won't have time to warn the other hops that your ultimate intention is to drown them in your beer.

seriously though, just drop em in :D

So just to be sure. Should I put the dry hoping hops in the same fermenter in which I'm primarly fermenting or should I transfer this to another carboy without the yeast at the bottom? I'm fermenting in a glass carboy not in bucket. Thank you.

I used to dry hop in secondary but this last time I did in primary with the yeast still in the carboy and it worked fine.

Since the original question has already been answered and it seems related, i'd have question on the procedure:

I dryhopped in primary (1 week after start of fermentation) with 3 oz pellets in 5 gal almost 1 week ago. The hops are still floating on the surface as a thick muddy layer. My question now is: will they sink eventually? should i stirr them into the liquid? or should I drain the beer from between the yeast and the hops to my botteling bucket?

thx for the advice :)

3 oz's is a lot of hops (relative to what I use for dry hopping). I'm not sure how long that will take to sink (1 ounce takes less than a week normally). dont stir (might add oxygen), but I do wiggle the carboy a bit from time to time). the rule of thumb I've read here is 1 week primary, two weeks secondary, three weeks in the bottle. sooooo...another week in the carboy should be ok...and maybe enough time for the hops to settle.

Thank you cagebee, so i will just give it the time it needs to sediment. I didn't transfer to minimize the risk of contamination (and out of convenience).

Thank you cagebee, so i will just give it the time it needs to sediment. I didn't transfer to minimize the risk of contamination (and out of convenience).

They won't sink. Some will, most won't. 5-7 days is plenty of time for dryhopping.

Just rack by starting your siphon in the middle of the fermenter, and then lower it as the level of the beer lowers to avoid sucking up the stuff on the top and the trub on the bottom. It works great!

Back