Blonde Ale Miller Lite (Really Triple Hopped)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve made this beer twice and both times its tasted strong of corn. First time I let it sit on the AE for 3 weeks and still never hit .000, didn’t like it so poured out. This time it sat on beano for 2 weeks and is stuck at .003 with strong corn taste, ive kegged it on top of some more beano and AE hoping it will dry it out and get rid of the corn taste. Will AE and beano work at colder temps? I’ve got it in the kegerator at about 45 degrees, but could take it out and sit at room temp.

Just brewed this OP version yesterday smells great, and this morning had a nice frothy white head on it. I came out with a little over 5 gallons but the numbers lined up being my very first AG brew I was thinking better gravity points than volume. The only question is I was thinking I should dry hop in the secondary right? With the enzyme or in the primary?

i'm going to brew this up this weekend. I'm still a rookie at brewing (I've only brewed 3 batches so far) and I've read through this entire thread (yeah, I know its crazy) looking for anyone who might have brewed this via the extract recipe. I don't have the AG or kegging equipment yet so extract and bottling are my only choices. To recap what I've read (and following the recipe exactly): 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary with AE and dry hops, then 3-6 weeks in bottle. Am I missing anything? Anyone who has brewed the extract have any other tips?

i'm going to brew this up this weekend. I'm still a rookie at brewing (I've only brewed 3 batches so far) and I've read through this entire thread (yeah, I know its crazy) looking for anyone who might have brewed this via the extract recipe. I don't have the AG or kegging equipment yet so extract and bottling are my only choices. To recap what I've read (and following the recipe exactly): 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary with AE and dry hops, then 3-6 weeks in bottle. Am I missing anything? Anyone who has brewed the extract have any other tips?

Have you looked into Brew in a Bag method? That is the way I did it. If you can steep specialty grains and have a a pot in the 16-20 qt. range you can probably do it. Look into BIAB and/or partial mash to see if it is something you may be interested in moving up to.

I have done several iterations of this beer style with LME and honey and it's pretty good. I have also used hopped LME with honey with the same results.

I have a thread titled "free beer", Beer you would make to give away at a party for the BMC crowd. IMHO- The thread started out sort of rocky due to people spamming the thread. They were beer snobbing the idea of good, cheap, light beer, as if it's not possible. I also had comments about it being a party success with people asking the brewer to make it for them.

If you are a beginner that beer is super easy and brings good results.

Look for this in my recipe pull down on this post.

This recipe was super easy. Came out a tiny bit darker than I thought but that might be the extract. I'll post pics once its ready. Thanks for the help, advice, and recipe.

I racked onto the AE this weekend... After primary fermentation the gravity reading was 1.008... Going to add an ounce of saaz hops next weekend to dry hop for 1 week and then bottle. When racking, the beer actually smelled like miller lite surprisingly. When I tried it out of the hydrometer tube the initial taste was very similar to that of miller lite but finished with a very harsh nasty corn flavor... Go to work AE!!! :)

I racked onto the AE this weekend... After primary fermentation the gravity reading was 1.008... Going to add an ounce of saaz hops next weekend to dry hop for 1 week and then bottle. When racking, the beer actually smelled like miller lite surprisingly. When I tried it out of the hydrometer tube the initial taste was very similar to that of miller lite but finished with a very harsh nasty corn flavor... Go to work AE!!! :)

Yeah with time like a week or two that disappears completely. That's the AE you are tasting. It's a very dry parched after taste. I always thought ahh, then got whiplash from the involuntary shudder. The short wait is worth the enhanced quality and higher alcohol.

I just finished my boil for a batch of this beer. It is already clear, even before going into the fermenter. I can see the break material at the bottom of the tun. The color is a crazy amber yellow.

Minw was not clear at all... is this going to matter?

Just cracked open my second one and the first that was ready and it is pretty good. Really clear and crisp. I will definitely make this a couple times a year.

I'm pretty excited to brew this. I just ordered the ingredients so I can give my dad a home brew for his birthday that he might actually like. I'll also have to share some with my roller hockey team this summer as well.

Hi, I think I have gone through this whole thread and I have not seen a post that answers my questions clearly and definitively, sorry in advance if I missed it.

I am heading to the LBS in a few to pick up the ingredients and planning on brewing this this weekend. But my questions are this:

1) for BIAB do I just steep the flaked corn in with the grain for the full time or do it in steps?

And

2) when fermenting, does this recipe need to be laggered or can I just ferment it the same I have done all my ales in the past with a primary and secondary at ale temps? If it does need to be laggered could someone please walk me though that process?

Thank you!

Mine just went to scondary and I uses the original recipe and fermented as an ale.. but it is my first time brewing this and first AG too

Can any body give me a good estimate of when I can expect theAE to take off?

Just got home and I see the small bubbles but I don't think a blowoff will be necessary... smells awesome though and srtarting to clear nicely

edg1979 said:
Hi, I think I have gone through this whole thread and I have not seen a post that answers my questions clearly and definitively, sorry in advance if I missed it.

I am heading to the LBS in a few to pick up the ingredients and planning on brewing this this weekend. But my questions are this:

1) for BIAB do I just steep the flaked corn in with the grain for the full time or do it in steps?

And

2) when fermenting, does this recipe need to be laggered or can I just ferment it the same I have done all my ales in the past with a primary and secondary at ale temps? If it does need to be laggered could someone please walk me though that process?

Thank you!

Ok, so I asked the guy at the LBS and he suggested i ferment it as an ale but that if I laggered it would be that much better. He also pointed out that whenever you keg a beer and let it sit in you kegerator for a month or so that you are essentially laggering it. Makes sense, but I don't keg yet.

So, I guess I will just brew as per recipe, ferment as an Ale then throw the secondary into the fridge for a few weeks to "lager."

Anyone have any ideas on whether to steep the corn with the barley or to do it separately?

Ok, so I asked the guy at the LBS and he suggested i ferment it as an ale but that if I laggered it would be that much better. He also pointed out that whenever you keg a beer and let it sit in you kegerator for a month or so that you are essentially laggering it. Makes sense, but I don't keg yet.

So, I guess I will just brew as per recipe, ferment as an Ale then throw the secondary into the fridge for a few weeks to "lager."

Anyone have any ideas on whether to steep the corn with the barley or to do it separately?

I brewed mine with the corn from start to finish. I brewed mine as an ale but as always I try to keep mine as cool as possible.

And

Thank you!

Well, regarding;

1) Mash with the corn, and 2-Row and 6-Row as stated in my original post (OP).

2) No lagering is required with an ale yeast, such as Safale S-05. Do the primary as noted (Believe to be 1-week from memory), 2ndary for two weeks just as you would with the primary. No need for a temp change. ~65-75F Rack onto AE , amylase enzyme, and the hops for two weeks. As noted in the OP

Bottle with 5oz by wt of corn sugar or carb at 12psi if kegging.

Drink when thirsty. :D

Bottle with 5oz by wt of corn sugar or carb at 12psi if kegging.

Drink when thirsty. :D

12psi seems kinda low as I usually do 20-25psi for 48 hours. How long do you keep it under that pressure? Still kinda new to kegging...

Thanks guys! I think that covers all the questions I had. I'm looking forward to brewing this beer this weekend.

Cheers!

12psi seems kinda low as I usually do 20-25psi for 48 hours. How long do you keep it under that pressure? Still kinda new to kegging...

There are various schedules - most people who aren't in a hurry will set it at 12psi for about a week and drop it down afterward to serve.

Is there any particular reason the amylase enzyme can't go into the primary? I can rack it to a secondary, but just wanted to know if there was any particular reason for that.

It's for finishing. The same as one does with dry hopping. After the beer clears you have the residual yeast that consumes the remaining complex sugars that are in beer, after the AE converts it over to simple sugars. I think it's too aide in the conditioning.

That's what the recipe called for in Chuck's book. (See my OP)

I have brewed so much of this that the batch I'm drinking has been in the bottle for 11 wks. I like to rotate the next batch to the fridge for a couple of weeks before it's up for drinking. It seems to make it really clear and crisp.

I don't know if that is considered lagering but it really makes a difference.

I add a pound of rice flakes per 10 gals too (mash together for BIAB) but otherwise still pretty close to the original idea. I love this stuff. It's such a great everyday anytime drinker.

Is there any particular reason the amylase enzyme can't go into the primary? I can rack it to a secondary, but just wanted to know if there was any particular reason for that.

From what I under stand the AE "cleans" it up and drys it out.

Finally, I can drink this thing! Took an especially long time - had a major diacetyl problem after the AE went in, so I did a two-week rest in the keg at room temp. That did the trick. There's a very slight hint of it still, but it's definitely not an inappropriate amount, and actually adds a kind of subtle czech characteristic.

I've been refilling my half-pint glass all day - it's pretty, pretty darn good and refreshing.

I added my ounce of hops this past weekend... One more week and I get to bottle this weekend! I took a hydrometer reading this past weekend, so one week on the AE took it from 1.008-1.006. I'm hoping this last week will take it down a couple more points! Needless to say, I'm pumped for this one! :p

Just a qq for the thread. Does it matter when the dry hop charge is added?

I added mine right after the yeast. I realize now that that might not have been correct, but will the result just be more hop aroma or something bad?

I like hops! :)

Just a qq for the thread. Does it matter when the dry hop charge is added?

I added mine right after the yeast. I realize now that that might not have been correct, but will the result just be more hop aroma or something bad?

I like hops! :)

The same day as the yeast is definitely too soon. You don't usually want to dry hop for more than a week. Beyond that, they'll get veggie-like or grassy. You'll still have beer in the end though. Also, I don't know how or if vigorous fermentation alters dry hops at all, maybe something good will happen.

Yeah, you usually want to dry hop on clean finished beer. In a secondary. It maximizes the hop flavor and aroma. It might still work but letting the beer stay on hops too long is bad for beer flavor. It gets a grassy flavor, however with time that disappears.

I would rack to a secondary after one week with AE added before you track to it so it mixes well. No stirring, no shaking. Just siphon. Ok

Damn, but I'm glad it will still be beer! :)

Good to know the results though, not really sure why I did that this is not my first time dry hopping. I think I was a bit distracted by the season premier of Mad Men and slipped up.

Thanks guys, I'll definitely let the thread know how it turns out.

That said you need to let the beer finish to dry out and condition. So dry hopping in the primary would require racking after seven days on the yeast. Unless you added the AE too. I think that would mess this all up. People have asked about doing the AE in the primary to save time.

In my opinion, this beer avoids the process of lagering, so doing the fermentation in two steps is reasonable. Just no refrigeration.

I brewed the original post to the letter 2 weeks ago and made the target IBU with german tettnang. Today I am transferring to secondary with the AE.

I am looking for advice on the dry hopping. I would like to use tettnang but I am unsure of how much. It was a 10 gallon batch split in 2 so I could experiment a bit. I have a lot of tettnang in the freezer.

Thanks in advance.

95Nasty

letting the beer stay on hops too long is bad for beer flavor. It gets a grassy flavor,

Don't have much experience with dry hopping... should the hops be in there for the whole two weeks like the AE? I put them in secondary at the same time and I have 1 week left before kegging.

Back