Water additions for IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hajimasabi

Reaction score
I'm working on an IPA recipe based on Anderson Valley's Hop Ottin IPA. I chose this beer because I tend to like a maltier beer with a softer more aromatic hop profile rather than a highly resinous and super bitter profile found in many IPAs. Still a hoppy beer, but sweeter and fuller in mouthfeel to balance it out.

The 5 gal recipe contains 1lb honey malt, 1lb C40, 1lb Munich and 10lbs 2row with a mash temp of 156, intended to increase the residual sweetness and mouthfeel. Hops are Columbus and Cascade with first wort hopping and late hop additions at 20, 10 and 5min. Total IBU of 88 with an SRM of around 13, bitterness ratio of 1.3.

My water profile is
Ca 27, Mg 4, Na 6, Cl 4, SO4 4, Alkalinity (CaCO3 103)

Based on Palmers nomograph, I should add approximately 100ppm of Ca. My question is what form to add. I understand that CaSO4 will push the flavor profile in favor of hops, enhancing bitterness, and CaCl will enhance the malt profile. Normally for an IPA I would push the hop bitterness up, but this beer really depends on having a full rounded, fairly sweet malt backbone. Balance is top priority. So which salt would be the better addition. I know I could probably not add anything and turn out a fine beer, but I'm new to water additions and curious what others think.

Back