Bottle conditioning - splenda or truvia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarFromBilly

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can naturally condition bottles with Splenda or truvia? I'm sure misspelled the names. Will yeast ferment that stuff? I don't have the option if force carbonating the soda, and would like to make my soda a bit more waist friendly.

I don't know truvia. But real Splenda (the artificial sweetener, Splenda brand does have fermentable products) is not fermentable. Good for backsweetening a hard cider you want to bottle condition. Precisely for the same reason you cannot prime with it- the yeast won't eat it.

Edit: Truvia appears to be stevia based. As far as I know, it's also non-fermentable.

Would it be possible to use just enough corn sugar with splenda so that the yeast eats the sugar to condition the bottles and the splenda remains to sweeten the mix?

If you're looking for a sweetness (just noticed this is in the soda section, hah) while bottle conditioning, there's no other way than to use something non-fermentable. Any fermentable sugars would get consumed, and if there's too much in a bottle it can get dangerous. I've backsweetened and carbonated hard ciders, so yeah, it's entirely possible.

I saw a soda making kit at the local winemaking supply shop that includes stevia as the sweetener. So the concept is that the sugars get completely consumed for the carbonation source and the stevia remains because it is not fermentable.

You should be able to make a "diet" soda with either of those, and then add just enough fermentable sugar for the carbonation level that you want. Using the same calculations for priming bottle conditioned beer should get you close.

Does anyone know if there are any bulking agents in that stuff (I'm assuming so), and if the bulking agents are fermentable? I'm not sure if I should take the bulking agents into consideration, or ignore them, for the sake of a little more fizz.

Does anyone know if there are any bulking agents in that stuff (I'm assuming so), and if the bulking agents are fermentable? I'm not sure if I should take the bulking agents into consideration, or ignore them, for the sake of a little more fizz.

Most of the powdered sweeteners use dextrose as an anti clumping agent. There is generally 1 gram per packet. I'm not sure about the amount in the bulk ones.

I just wanted to thank everyone for your help! The batch of root beer (with Splenda) turned out awesome. I used Splenda as the sweetening agent, then only enough sugar to condition the bottles!

Excellent observation - I would think this would be the way to do it. Splenda would actually work very well as the bottle conditioner IMHO. Time to try it.
BTW a little citrus covers the aftertaste of sucralose very well.
Astringent taste like hibiscus cover stevia's aftertaste well.
Cool.
Srinath.

Latest posts

Back