Mash-ive Mistake!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wentsj28

Reaction score
Hello all,
I was mashing today and accidentally raised the temperature to >170 degrees with about 40 minutes left. I quickly turned off the heat and began stirring, but it still took about 30 minutes to cool it back down to 152. Have I ruined this beer? And what can I expect in the final product?

You should be fine. The beer will have some more body. I did this in the past and it still make good beer. Did you hit your OG?

If the entire mash went up over 170 degrees and stayed there for more than a few minutes, it would have denatured the enzymes.

Still, many mashes convert before 20 minutes in, so you may not have any issues. It really depends on how much conversion happened before the enzymes would have been denatured.

I did the same last night.. but not as early nor as high temp. Was going for a 154 single sach rest and when it started to dip down towards 152 I turned on the heat. I was stirring and stirring, wasn't much change, and then all of a sudden the thermometer jumped to 160+ on me. I killed the hit and it settled in at around 159. This was about 30-40 min into the 60 min mash. OG came out fine though, 81% efficiency. Not bad for only my third AG brew. Can't wait to try it... hopefully the Safale S-04 doesn't do anything weird on me.

FYI, next time you want to drop the temp quickly in the mash, add some ice cubes.

I just brewed at our local brewery and they had filtered, treated, pre-heat strike water. That was a nice 20 min time savings at the start of the day, but after adding my grain, the mash for a few degrees too high so I just stirred in a few ice cubes and it dropped quickly.

Latest posts

Back