Suggestions for yeast with pronounced malt character?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluelakebrewing

Reaction score
Looking to make a simple SMaSH with a very pronounced malt flavor. Anyone have a particular yeast strain they could recommend to have a pronounced malt character? More suggestions the better, and if you could, tell me a bit about why you like the yeast and what you have used it in ! Cheers folks!

I like Wyeast 1450- Denny's Favorite. It's not so much a "pronounced" malt flavor, but the yeast really enhances the malt without the beer being sweet or underattenuated. It's one of my favorite strains for a variety of styles.

I love WLP072 French Ale. It's a seasonal, but happens to be out right now. It's a biere de garde strain. Attenuation is high to very high, depending on mash temp, grist, etc, but it's very malt forward. Outside of French farmhouse styles, I've used it in an ESB inspired beer that I really like and I'm going to try it in a cream ale next. From what I've read about biere de garde, I would think that it was originally a kolsch, alt, or other top fermenting German yeast.

Back