Kegging....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peterschroder

Reaction score
So I started kegging 2 weeks ago and lost my first CO2 bottle on basically doing it wrong (I assume...).
Anyway, I think I have it figured out but one last point. When you put the pressure on the keg to 30psi, do you let it sit on there for 24 hours. In other words, does the CO2 have to stay on or close the CO2 bottle? I am asking this also due to the fact that I have a dual regulator, so if the CO2 has to stay on, how would I be able to work 2 kegs at the same time.

Probably stupid question....but I need to figure this out, hopefully with the help of some you.

Thanks in advance.

Im not exactly sure what your asking. But if you have a dual regulator like I do then you can have one keg at 30 psi and the other at 10 psi if you wanted.

You asked something about do you leave it at 30 psi for 24 hours. There's no rule with that. A lot of people leave it at 30 psi for 36-48 hours then purge and set to serving pressure. At that point you could enjoy or let it sit a that pressure a couple more days then enjoy. The gas does typically stay on the entire time. If theres a reason you need to you can in fact hit the keg with some pressure then turn off co2 and then hit again the next day. If your bottle may have a leak when on you can do this method.

Make sure to check for leaks before leaving the gas on and make sure the co2 is completely locked down on the keg so you dont loose your co2.

Hope this helps!

Do you have a dual pressure regulator? Or a single pressure regulator with two gauges? Or a single pressure regulator with a splitter?

My real question is; do I inject CO2 or do I keep it going? I attach my regulator to my CO2, attach my gas line to the regulator and keg. Then do I open the CO2 bottle and give my keg "a shot of" CO2 or do I keep the CO2 flowing into the keg?

My real question is; do I inject CO2 or do I keep it going? I attach my regulator to my CO2, attach my gas line to the regulator and keg. Then do I open the CO2 bottle and give my keg "a shot of" CO2 or do I keep the CO2 flowing into the keg?

Keep it open, all the time.

I have mine set at 12 psi, and I have 5 kegs on it. Moving it to 30 psi will carb it faster by a couple of days, but that would be a real pain if you had more than one keg on it! I'd just "set it and forget it"- that is, put it at the proper pressure (probably 10-12 psi in a kegerator) and leave it be. With the gas turned on all the time.

You have to keep the gas on to carbonate and to keep the beer at the right carbonation level as you drink from the keg. If you are trying to start at 30 psi, set your regulator at 30 psi and leave the gas on at that pressure for a day or two. The turn off the gas, release the pressure in the keg, set the pressure at 10-12 psi (or whatever serving pressure you are using) and turn the gas back on. You may want to release the pressure again a little later. Leave the gas on until the keg is empty. If you used a tankful of gas in 2 weeks, you have a leak somewhere. With the gas on, spray all of the connections, keg posts and pressure relief valve with Starsan. If it bubbles, you have a leak. Always check for leaks when you hook up a new keg. Good luck.

Edit: Once again beaten to the punch by Yooper.

Keep it open, all the time.

I have mine set at 12 psi, and I have 5 kegs on it. Moving it to 30 psi will carb it faster by a couple of days, but that would be a real pain if you had more than one keg on it! I'd just "set it and forget it"- that is, put it at the proper pressure (probably 10-12 psi in a kegerator) and leave it be. With the gas turned on all the time.

That is, if you do not have a dual regulator where you can use multiple psi's for each line.

DirtyOldDuck said:
You have to keep the gas on to carbonate and to keep the beer at the right carbonation level as you drink from the keg. If you are trying to start at 30 psi, set your regulator at 30 psi and leave the gas on at that pressure for a day or two. The turn off the gas, release the pressure in the keg, set the pressure at 10-12 psi (or whatever serving pressure you are using) and turn the gas back on. You may want to release the pressure again a little later. Leave the gas on until the keg is empty. If you used a tankful of gas in 2 weeks, you have a leak somewhere. With the gas on, spray all of the connections, keg posts and pressure relief valve with Starsan. If it bubbles, you have a leak. Always check for leaks when you hook up a new keg. Good luck.

Edit: Once again beaten to the punch by Yooper.

Thank you!! I put my beer in a different keg, I believe my other one might have a leak, will check. You also answered my question on how to drop from 30 psi to 12, had no idea how to do that. I should be good to go now

Cheers!

So how when you have a dual, which I believe I have?

You do but not a double gauge regulator. Sorry I used the wrong term initially. On yours, one gauge is to show you the amount of CO2 left in the tank, and the other is the pressure you are pushing into the keg. The link you posted specifies it's for using two lines at the same pressure. "This pro series double gauge regulator is loaded with high end features! If you plan on dispensing two separate kegs but do not need to have independent keg pressures, then this regulator will work for this application."

It's basically just a y-splitter. A double regulator would look like this:

e8022-mod.jpg

Peterschroder said:

The regulator you linked to is a single regulator split for two different outputs (at the same pressure). You have two gauges, on for tank pressure....the other for what you're sending to the kegs

Right, as thejaunald said.

You have two gauges, but not for dispensing. You have one pressure gauge. That's fine, it really is! I have the same thing, with 5 kegs hooked up to it.

You can close the one side when you're not using it, or when you want to burst carb a keg at a higher pressure, but it's not necessary. I never move my regulator up and down- it's been at 12 psi for 5 years!

Again, thank you all for the awesome assistance. I was really a bit lost and felt a bit embarrassed to ask...
Drinking a barley wine right now, the last beer (for now?) that went straight in the bottle!

Cheers!!

Back