Is my kettle safe for storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LemonJelly

Reaction score
I just cleaned up after my 1st extract brew with my new kettle. I noticed this discolor or something on the bottom of it. I cleaned it first with very hot water, then soapy hot water and a scrub brush and than lastly with hot water with a wash cloth. This would not come off. It doesn't really have a texture or any kinda of surface to it when I rub it with my finger. Is it safe to put my kettle away for now? or is this going to cause problems on my next brew day?

IMG_20130504_203137.jpg

Its totally fine. Pretty sure every stainless kettle looks like this in the bottom.

Hard to tell what it is from the picture. It could be beer stone I guess. Do you have any PBW or Oxyclean? If so add some really hot water and Oxyclean/PBW. Let it soak for an hour so, then try to scrub it off. That might do it.

Hard to tell what it is from the picture. It could be beer stone I guess. Do you have any PBW or Oxyclean? If so add some really hot water and Oxyclean/PBW. Let it soak for an hour so, then try to scrub it off. That might do it.

would it be ok to let it sit for 24 hours or until I have a chance to get to the store?

Use Bar Keepers Friend to clean stainless kettles. It will leave them sparkling like new, with very little effort. It works fast, so you don't have to soak at all. The best part is the stuff is super cheap!

IMG-20130504-00808.jpg

Looks like oxalate deposits. Got hard water?

Pour a cup or two of a 50/50 mix of white vinegar/water and let it sit for awhile. I bet it clears those deposits...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back