Anyone seen pH this low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

couchsending

Reaction score
47551E94-1382-4589-913B-8C56F13ADBF7.jpeg

No acetic acid that I can pick out. Been aging for 10 months I believe... bunch of dregs. Pedio will take it that low right?

Properly Calibrated pH meter etc etc

I’ve had a 2.9 before with a traditional mixed fermentation. Terminal pH for pedio is supposed to be around 3.1 but I think that all these bugs get a synergistic bump when you get them together in the right proportion in the right wort for the right amount of time.

I have a 5 gallon corny of a 2.89 beer, about a year and a half old. It got a kick of dregs that sent it out of control, very few hops in the boil. I tasted it after 6 months and it was already at 3.0, it was like the most delicious warhead candy, lemony with a bit of cherry, so I kept feeding it a little wort every few months for souring stock, and it kept paying off. Now I will only simple it pure if I have a little baking soda around, but it does a great job souring beers without adding too much tang or acetic.

I have a 5 gallon corny of a 2.89 beer, about a year and a half old. It got a kick of dregs that sent it out of control, very few hops in the boil. I tasted it after 6 months and it was already at 3.0, it was like the most delicious warhead candy, lemony with a bit of cherry, so I kept feeding it a little wort every few months for souring stock, and it kept paying off. Now I will only simple it pure if I have a little baking soda around, but it does a great job souring beers without adding too much tang or acetic.
What did you sour it with? I haven't made a sour even though I love them. You said you feed it a little wort now and then. How much?

I have a keg of year or two old sour that is at 3. Have you calibrated your meter recently? I have that one at work and it drifts a lot on us.

If that beer is that low and acetic is minimal it may be worth saving some and feeding it every so often to use as an acid "barrel' It's nice to have something relatively clean that you can blend with if you have a beer that gets nice funk but needs more acid.

What did you sour it with? I haven't made a sour even though I love them. You said you feed it a little wort now and then. How much?

Holy Mountain, De Garde, Cantillon and 3F dregs. There was a few ounces of aged (lambic) hops in there and a pinch of saaz at the end, if it weren't for those I think it would be eating a hole through my fermentation cellar floor. Wort - I just add a few hundred ml of sweet wort from brew day usually. Put it in a sanitized jar, let it cool, sample + top off a couple carboys that are due for tasting or need a transfer.

Back