Anyone not use Star San?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to scrimp and save so I usually pee over everything before rinsing in a local stream. Logic states that its fine because I still live.

I use 1/4 cup vinegar, then 1/4 cup bleach to 5 gallons. Cheap and effective, never had an issue with any of my batches. Dip everything for 30 seconds or so.

This is a no-rinse solution.

This was recommend on a podcast by the maker of Starsan.

I use 1/4 cup vinegar, then 1/4 cup bleach to 5 gallons. Cheap and effective, never had an issue with any of my batches. Dip everything for 30 seconds or so.

This is a no-rinse solution.

This was recommend on a podcast by the maker of Starsan.

I listened to that podcast too. Do you know if he meant for this stuff to be dried before use? I see how it's a great sanitizer, but I don't see how that much bleach is good for your beer if it's not dried first.

I usually use SaniClean; I don't see many people using it on here. You should use what makes you comfortable and not worry what others are doing as long as your beer turns out the way you want it.

I have never used it, I used to use bleach but now I use One Step and most often....boiling water. on bottles, bottling bucket, hose, wand and even dip the capper in it.
Even tho it was meant as a joke....calling anyone any type of nazi tends to be offensive IMO.

Does you beer not have a bleach smell/taste? I use bleach to clean after a brew, but I'm a little too scared of it to use to sanitize right before I put beer in there.

Never had any bleach smell or taste. I use a weak bleach solution (approx 2 tbsp/5 gal) and give everything a good hot water rinse before use.

I use Oxysan. I buy it from Canada. I have not seen it for sale in the US. It's basically like a powdered hydrogen peroxide (I think).

Very true. I've always wondered about those "rinse" sanitizers. Wouldn't the rinse screw up the sanitization?

My hot water comes out of the tap at about 140f so i am guessing that even though there is a theoretical chance of screwing up the sanitation, practice has shown that this isn't much of an issue. What I like about the bleach is that I can soak my bottles, take them out of the bleach and cover them with a piece of sanitizewd foil and put them in a case until I need them. On bottling day, I pull off the foil, give the bottle a two second rinse with the bottle washer on my tap and I am good to go.

I have a professor who teaches a brewing class who using a custom iodine solution. I'm not sure how I feel about this method though. I tried his beers and they weren't that great. I'm going to one of his brew sessions this weekend though so maybe I'll see if I can figure out what he is doing.

damn yo, wish i had known about that class 5 years ago

Mostly bleach for the big stuff, spray StarSan for the little stuff. At the rate I'm using StarSan, the 16oz I bought last year will last me well into the 2030's...

Oh, and as for mixing bleach and vinegar, just don't take a deep breath over the bucket!

I have notes from a podcast for a bleach no-rinse sanitizer:

Basic Brewing podcast from 2007, interview with Charley Talley (from Five Star)

Charley's no-rinse sanitizer:
1 oz of 5% bleach in 5 gallons of water is about 80 ppm add 1 oz of vinegar to that solution to adjust ph. NEVER ADD VINEGAR TO BLEACH DIRECTLY!

I'd encourage you to find and listen to that podcast. Lots of good information on Star San and sanitizing equipment in general.

I don't actually use the bleach sanitizer in brewing, but it's cheap and works very well for my water tank in my camper.

I use distilled vinegar and lye for my cleaning needs, and alcohol for sanitation.

I used star san when I started homebrewing, but quickly turned to alcohol as it was cheaper and more available to me.

Why not use Star San? A bottle goes a long way when used in the recommended ratios. And its usage is very simple, no rinse, and you don't have to fear the foam.

So I'm just curious, is there anyone out there who goes against the grain and refuses to use it . . .
What do you do?

I've never used Star San or any other cleaner or bleach. I just wash stuff in the kitchen sink and my bottles go through the dishwasher with the other dishes. I have been doing this for 28 years. I have never had so much as an infected bottle. I am an extract brewer with simple equipment, so YRMV.
BTW, my bottles are just stored open and upright for their next filling. In the past two years I've quit doing anything to bottle caps before use; they are put on directly from their package.

OP hasn't been around for a while. Maybe the Star San guys got him. :p

Last edited:
In a lot of states in the LAW that food preparers sanitize with diluted bleach. Do you taste bleach when you go out to eat? Perfectly safe. I think most brands even include dilution instructions for sanitizing on the bottles.
I thought food places and hospitals use iodophor. Iodophor will sanitize to hospital standards at the right concentration. And you’re not supposed to use bleach on stainless, which many things in a restaurant are made of. First rule of stainless - no bleach

If it isn't malt, hops, or yeast it's not going in my beer. Call it fearing the foam or any other marketing scheme, but who is really afraid ? Nice thread revival BTW

Back