Anyone familiar with Beerlao?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChasidicCalvinist

Reaction score
Yes, one of those posts. On a travel show last night in Laos, they mentioned a rice whiskey lao-lao. So I looked into the Lao-lao and came across Beerlao which is apparently the national beer of laos. From what I can tell it is made from Jasmine rice and millet, which would make it gluten free. Has anyone had it? Is anyone familiar with whether or not it is gluten free?

Ha. This is pretty interesting. Never heard of it. I would try it though. I have had African style millet beer before. It was good but, not what you would expect. It tasted like a third world beer brewed in Wisconsin. Mostly because it is. https://www.sprecherbrewery.com/beer.php?cat=7

Would like to see if anyone has any info on this beerlao.

Hi all, I just joined and am a recently returned homebrewer.

I was living in Thailand for four years and went to Laos many times and I can honestly say that Beerlao is my favourite beer in the world! I have travelled to over 40 countries and drunk many, many beers. My current top three are all Asian - Beerlao, Saigon Red (Vietnam) and Tsingtao (China). Interestingly all these breweries are part owned by Carlsberg

My website: http://www.world-tourer.com/

I've had it and it's truly gluten free. I have Celiac and can't tolerate any gluten at all. I've tried other beers that claim to filter out the gluten and got sick. That didn't happen with Beer Lao, unfortunately it's hard to find where I live so when I can find it, I stock up on it. I've tried almost every gluten free beer and this one is better than most other pilsners

I know this thread is old but I just found some Beerlao Dark Lager on the shelf labeled as "Naturally Gluten Free" with the ingredients on the back: Rice, Water, Malted Barley...

20170712_141054.jpg

Beer Lao is one of the most disguising beers along with a bunch of South East Asian Beers
It comes in a couple varieties, one of them is gluten free and the others are not gluten free. You may have to search high and low for the gluten free one.

On the other hand the rice wine/whiskey is quite good, alot of South East Asian countries do their own variation of the rice wine ...Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Myanmar..etc...

The beer isn't worth the time of day

Back