Anyone brewing with medusa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtab78

Reaction score
So when i read about medusa hops i was really excited, but after my first brew of a simple neipa, i am getting a ton of grapefruit citrus from these (almost like a sculpin but a tad milder). It could be that i did a 2- 2oz dry hop charges of these along with citra and azacca but i have paired citra and azacca before with mosaic and didnt get anything like it.

So im curious have any of you used medusa, and if so, what flavors and aromas are you seeing?

Used them a few times and got an intense peach-ice tea and weed flavor in an IPA. I've since used other Neomexicanus hops and have found the character to be similarly dank.

Then there is that neomexican one that tastes like vanilla and bourbon. Crazy hops.

So when i read about medusa hops i was really excited, but after my first brew of a simple neipa, i am getting a ton of grapefruit citrus from these (almost like a sculpin but a tad milder). It could be that i did a 2- 2oz dry hop charges of these along with citra and azacca but i have paired citra and azacca before with mosaic and didnt get anything like it.

So im curious have any of you used medusa, and if so, what flavors and aromas are you seeing?
I had a weird white grape kinda of flavor. My hop additions used Medusa and Cascade. Was not a bad beer just not my thing.

Im going to use the rest I suppose in a blonde or a pale ale, I think maybe the smaller hop additions of this vice large amounts in an IPA may be a little lighter tasting and probably be a better fit for my pallet as I am just not liking them in the IPA quantity.

Im going to use the rest I suppose in a blonde or a pale ale, I think maybe the smaller hop additions of this vice large amounts in an IPA may be a little lighter tasting and probably be a better fit for my pallet as I am just not liking them in the IPA quantity.

Thanks for your thought on Medusa. I went with a 34/70-fermented pale ale (152F mash temp, 1 hour) and 5.5oz as a flame out addition and 3.5oz as a dry hop addition on day 6. Will post results/pics after cold crashing and force carbonation.
Cheers.

I just tapped a pale ale with a small Magnum bittering charge but otherwise all Medusa hops, 4 oz in a 4 gallon batch. I need to drink it more to explore the flavors better but I don't know if I'm a fan so far. There's an odd sweetness on the backend, even my wife commented on it. My grain bill was 92% 2 row, 4% wheat, 4% 15L with a really light SRM so I don't think that's the culprit. I made a pale ale with almost identical grist with all Falconers Flight a few months ago which wasn't like that.

Back