Anybody have a good DIY Stir Bar Tek?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubbel dutch

Reaction score
I just threw together a stir plate real quick with old parts lying around but I don't have a stir bar... anybody know what I might be able to use for one or what they're made out of?

(I know they're cheap... I'll probably just end up buying one)

Seems like it's just a little magnetic bar coated with teflon or glass.

Can make a dirty one using a nail and vinyl toob.

I made one that got me through fine until my real bar came in.

Cut the nail to length, shove it inside a vinyl toob and melt the ends to seal.

Ok so I know 3" is kinda long for a stirbar but I have a Farm & Fleet near me and wouldn't have to ship this

http://www.farmandfleet.com/catalog/product.aspx?i=137667&h=090201006

It's 1/2" by 3" stainless steel magnet. I think you feed it to a cow... but I'm wondering how awesome of a stirbar this would make!

I'm just imagining putting it in the flask then boiling it with the wort and pitch my yeast, put on stirplate and go, no need to sanitize my plastic coated stirbar with star-san.

Anyone see why this would not work?

I actually have some of these and have been wondering the same thing. I will probably try it once I get my power supply for my stirplate. But I guess you could cut them in half if the length creates a problem.

I think they'd be a bit heavy for the stir plate to move, unless you can start out very slowly.

Sounds like the next new age diet craze, "edible magnets clear heavy metals from your digestive tract allowing you to feel your best and achieve limitless success in life - this statement has not been approved by the FDA".

Bobby_M said:
A fricken cow magnet.. I've now seen it all.
LOL :)

A .5 inch by 3 stir bar might just work in a carboy but I don't think it is going to work in a flask or jar.

Just buy a couple and be done with it.

Back