Any use the 120V Electric Brew Heater

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerface

Reaction score
I came across one of these units and was wondering if anybody has used or uses this? What is your opinion on this product? Looks like a very handy tool for brewing. Question is I wont blow any trip any circuit breakers will I? Any electricians in the house. Anyway the description says 120V Electric Brew Heater. Just want to make sure that's all.
heatingelement.jpg

What's the amps and do you have a circuit big enough to handle it? My electric kettle runs off a 20amp circuit, but don't you dare run the micro at same time.

Well, I'm looking at fuse box and the circuit breakers have numbers on them. And the garage breakers say 15. Is that what you mean? I'm sure it is. Do you think that is sufficient? Have you used this item before?

If if draws too much current for the circuit then the circuit breaker is tripped; it's not a big deal, that's what they do. You can calculate how many amps this will draw by: the current I in amps (A) is equal to the power P in watts (W) divided by the voltage V in volts (V). If you have functioning circuit breakers, you're fine, but do the calculations.

I have a bucket with something like that built in, for brewing. I draws 1500 watts, which is impressive, and it has never tripped the breakers.

It should be fine. Most standard household 120V outlets are attached to a 15A breaker. That's the equivalent of 1800 watts before you trip the breaker. I wouldn't run 1800 but, 1500 is just fine. It is advisable to use a GFI when working with water and electricity. In fact, you should definitely plug that into a GFI. That is, unless you feel blow drying your hair in a bath tub is a good idea. (That's over the top but you get the idea.)

Well, I'm looking at fuse box and the circuit breakers have numbers on them. And the garage breakers say 15. Is that what you mean? I'm sure it is. Do you think that is sufficient? Have you used this item before?

Ok, so is your circuit box labeled? It should indicate what parts of house for each circuit. You should have many different kinds of breakers.

If this post is for real, I would suggest not trying to experiment with electric heaters. I had a really long post written explaining stuff and realized, I am not an electrician and I am not going to try to teach my version of electricity over the internet.

Tiger,
By the look of the wall plug box attached to it, it must have a breaker built into the plug end. Your house hold power is a 15amp circuit to your outlets and can handle 120volt x 15amp =1800watts less loss in the wiring. Make sure that what ever you fix it to is secure and can take the heat.

Latest posts

Back