Any means of circulating wort past immersion chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitsBoy

Reaction score
Just wondering if theres any small device that will circulate the wort in the brew kettle to increase the flow and heat transfer to the immersion chiller? Sure, I could stand there for a half hour moving it in tiny circles, but it not only burns my delicate hands, I also keep knocking into the long thermometer stems, which will eventually bend if not completely break off. Some sort of circulation device would be prefect. It would keep the wort moving, and transferring heat efficiently, and allow me to do something more useful with my time like clean up, or finish my pint. Whats the smallest trolling motor out there? :)

There are small food grade solar pumps that you can use. You'll want to make it sure can handle the boil temp.

I use them with my electric brewery.

buy a stainless steel paint/cement stirrer and attach it to a cordless drill. This is what I use. It also helps with doughing in to mash, batch sparging and aerating after you reach pitching temp. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UCBWU0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

with my hydra immersion chiller, it takes me about 5-7 minutes to get down to pitching temp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, ideally id like it to be a clamp on type device, so I can walk away while it cools.

Maybe a hand held immersion blender, or even a modified cake mixer that could be clamped onto the side might work.

Just have to be careful of hot side aeration with direct stir methods.

I considered this a few months ago and went with a morebeer counterflow chiller instead. I can cool a 6 gallon batch from 180F to 60F in about 5-10 min as it slowly passes through the chiller. I hooked up an RTD to the end of the chiller to get the best temp control possible. I have to run the stream pretty slow to get output in the 60-65F range. Overall it doesn't take long and I'm much happier than I was messing with the old immersion method. I run boiling HLT water through it at the end of the session, and at the beginning of a new brew to keep it clean.

Back