Wyeast 3538 - Corsendonk/Leuven

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagz

Reaction score
There are very few threads on this yeast. Can anyone share their impressions? I bought an extremely out of date pack from the lhbs for $1. I started to get some activity on the stirplate yesterday :mug:

Bump.

This vigerous top fermenting Belgian style strain produces a distinct spicy character along with mild esters. Phenolics developed during fermentation may dissipate with conditioning. This strain is an excellent choice for a variety of Belgian beer styles including pales, dubbels and brown ales.

Origin: Leuven, Belgium
Flocculation: High
Attenuation: 75-78%
Temperature Range: 65-80F (18-27C)
Alcohol Tolerance: 12% ABV

I just used this yeast on a belgian pale and blonde. More phelonic than fruity, little banana with some bubblegum. I fermented from 66 up to 72. I like it better than just about every other belgian yeast out ( except wlp575 and the unibroue strain).

Thanks for the info. Is it clove spicy or pepper spicy? Does it taste like a classic belgian strain (Westmalle) or more like a saison?

Interesting experience with this yeast. Unfortunately, I realized after this batch that my thermometer has been off. I've been getting ridiculous attenuation the last few batches... 90% AA on several, including my dubbel with the corsendonk yeast. My thermometer was running 6 degrees hot. Anyway, the malt profile took a hit with the low mash temp, but the yeast flavor is pretty nice. It's definitely more of a black pepper than clove, reminds me of saison spice profile. Nice ester aroma. It started off with a slightly tart, pear like flavor, but that has faded. Not sure if that is a result of the thin (1.004) body or the yeast. I'll give it another go to see what things look like with some malt to back it up.

Back